Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 PM

Default SoCal or ChiTown

I've been accepted into grad school for a masters in physician assistant studies. The two schools I'm looking at are Loma Linda Univ (an hour east of LA) and Rosalind Franklin Univ (in Northern Chicago). I've lived in the midwest most of my life, but this gives me a chance to see SoCal for two years, and then leave if I don't like it. I lived in Philly for two years and hated it. I moved there not knowing anyone, and I'd be moving to SoCal without knowing anyone. I'm in no serious relationship, so no problems there. I don't know exactly where each school is ranked in the US News rankings. If you have a subscription to this site, let me know (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/gra.../pas_brief.php). LLU has smaller class sizes vs. RFU (22 vs. 62 in each incoming class).
What do you guys think? LLU with smaller classes and an area I've never lived in before of RFU that is near the college I graduated from (Purdue), is closer to my family, and has people I know in the city.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Re: SoCal or ChiTown

If its not the coast, then its not really the SoCal your looking for.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:08 PM

An hour east of LA is farther than you think. Loma Linda is in what's called "The Inland Empire". It is absolutely awful. I know absolutely zero about North Chicago, but I am positive it's better than Loma Linda. This is a very easy choice.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Either pick a better school in SoCal or go to ChiTown. Grew up in Chicago and live in LA. Chicago is a great city with plenty to do. Loma Linda is not the SoCal experience most people are looking for.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM

I must agree that Loma Linda is NOT really the typical SoCal of beaches, nice weather, honeys, etc. It actually gets REALLY HOT in the Inland Empire. I don't like it much out there. They do have some nice malls/outlets though. But in traffic the beach is likely an hour and a half away, and disneyland/magic mountain etc. is likely further. I'd go to the ChiTown school, where you also know some people.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:19 PM

North Chicago is really nice. LA, where you would be, sucks.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM

The Inland Empire is the armpit of LA. I grew up there and they have what is known as "smog days" at schools. If they raise a yellow flag, all extracurricular activities are suspended. If a red flag, everyone goes home.

It's nice to go home, but this kind of stuff was always extremely unsettling. Add in 100+ degree heat and it makes for very uncomfortable summers.

DN
Old 02-17-2006, 06:05 PM

So nobody's saying SoCal? I was out there for the interview and it didn't seem that bad. How are the people and the lifestyle?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:08 PM

I've never been in SoCal, but chicago is a great place to live.... tons to do and cheaper than the coastal cities
Old 02-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Grew up in S Cal, trained in Chicago - 100% agree with the previous posters that Loma Linda is basically located in the [censored] of the world.

More importantly, WTF is a masters in physician assistant studies? The mind boggles.......