Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Range Finders, GPS Discussion

If you have used any of these types of products please share your experience with them. I haven't used any; nor am i sure how they work even. Are they a valuable asset to a golfer or a waste of money?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Range Finders, GPS Discussion

My opinion, is that they can help, most players may not get the "down to the foot" distance as they play, but it should help someone even starting to learn he/she hits the ball(very important) remember you must be realistic with your abilities(most golfers are not). One of my courses has GPS on the golf carts, and it is a great help, we dont have any sprinkler heads marked, only the 100, 150 and 200 yard.
As for Sky caddies, I dont have much experience with them, those that own them swear by them, they are portable and can be used on any course that has been marked by the company.
Rangefinders, I think are probably the best use for the $ if you are to purchase something for your own use, they can be used anywhere(not just the golf course) and do not require that the course you play on was marked by the company.

Keep in mind, you are looking at a $350-500 investment for this gadget, make sure you are going to use it and learn to use it correctly.

tobdog
Old 05-03-2007, 10:52 AM

It's a lot of money for something that you can only use in bounce games
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM

I think the rangefinder is more valuable than the GPS devices, especially on courses you play frequently. Accurate distances matter most inside 100yds. Unless I'm mistaken, the GPS devices don't download pin positions every day for every course in their library, so all you'll get from the GPS is a front-middle-back yardage. The rangefinder will give you the exact pin yardage, which is (along with course knowledge) what you care about for pitches. I estimate the rangefinder is worth about 0.5hcp strokes for me (I'm a 3.8). YMMV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Bounce games?

They are USGA legal
Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 PM

I just ordered a Sky Caddie SG4. I like gadgets, tried one out and loved it. Will give a full review once I get it and play a couple rounds with it.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bounce games?

They are USGA legal

[/ QUOTE ]

They are permitted by Local Rule. That means that whatever tournament, club league, etc that you play in must specifically allow their use otherwise they are still illegal. For example, The PGA does not allow them in their tournaments so they are illegal, while some of the mini tours do allow their use.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM

I have always been under the assumption they were legal unless a local rule was adopted to not use during a certain competetion, otherwise the USGA would not encourage posting of scores while using them.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always been under the assumption they were legal unless a local rule was adopted to not use during a certain competetion, otherwise the USGA would not encourage posting of scores while using them.

[/ QUOTE ]

USGA Rules of Golf

[ QUOTE ]
14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device

Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?

A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure distance only. However, the use of devices that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted.
In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Rule 14-3
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
(a) That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or(b) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or(c) That might assist him in gripping the club, except thati) plain gloves may be worn;(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-3:
Disqualification.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty clear. Not sure why people seem to think these devices are always legal under the rules. They are not unless they are specifically allowed under a local rule.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM

Are GPS considered distance measuring devices or not?