Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Default $22 AA vs big stack, awful flop

Big stack is rather loose. I thought that after the flop my best play would be c/f. I only beat small pairs, but I thought it was very likely he would have something like 2 pair. Thoughts?

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t2850
CO: t4262.50
Button: t4072.50
SB: t515
BB: t1800

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600</font>, CO calls t600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t900)</font>, 3 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1500, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">
Hero ???
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: $22 AA vs big stack, awful flop

Your stack is such that I think you should push and close your eyes.

You're still beating lots of hands that would call you preflop (e.g., 88-TT, AQ, maybe even QK,AJ,AT if they're bad) and they'll often call you with such a worse hand on the flop as well. (And they're unlikely to have 2 pair since they called a raise.)

The other reason for pushing is more subtle. Normally doubling up is much more cEV than $EV. But with the stacks as they are, and the bubble coming up, a big stack is invaluable as you could pick up a lot of blinds.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 AM

He was very loose and I thought the possibility of QJ, or J10 was reasonable and 10-10 - QQ and AK are beating me too. On the other hand, if I let the hand go I'm still in good position to get ITM. I decided to bet (not all-in) to try to represent a monster (AK) and he folded to my bet.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM

You still have a nice stack and more than the 2 shorties.
Check. He could have a ton of hands and it could be very scary for him as well so he checks a lot. If he bets, you can safely fold.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Pushing here is horrific, if he calls you, you are either WB or not ahead by a lot. You'd have to almost guarantee that he calls with 99 here to make pushing even a remote possibility.

Big stack may be rather loose, but aggro on this board is quite another thing. If you bet and he raises, you're done; if he smooth calls, you're kinduv clueless as to what to do on later streets. Anything you bet puts you in trouble unless he folds.

If you were Deep, I'd be here, but you're not.

I think check is the best play. If he bets, probably fold; if he bets like 400 or something, then you could consider calling. You'll be getting good odds that he will shut down the rest of the hand with a non two pair J or Q if he misses. And you'll still be OK with your stack. But even then, a fold isn't a bad idea.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM

LOL @ check/fold. Make a 3/4 pot c-bet, call all-in and go broke here. You'll scoop up the pot vs unimproved PP, while villain will call or even shove a lot of pair+SD hands on this board. You're a 2:1 fav vs KQ-KT or Q9-T9, you're only a 1:2 dog vs 2 pairs, and it's much more likely that he holds pair+SD / pair+GS vs 2 pairs / set / made straight. Since villain is loose he might even call you w/ a naked A / K / 9 / 8.

If you decide to check/fold this flop you should quit poker.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 PM

I would crai this all day, you beat AQ,AJ,AT, combo draws and you have 4/6 insurance outs. But I don't play @ the 22$ level
Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM

No reason to bet. You only make worse hands fold and all the ones that have you beat or have a draw could call you here which sucks since you don't even knock someone out if he calls and misses a draw.

You will usually win this against a hand that has no connection because he won't always bet with nothing, don't offer up your stack all the times he made a hand here.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 PM

I like a c/r as well.He is loose,will very likely take the lead in betting with worse hands then yours as well,u have some outs when behind,the bb is not really short.Odds are good
he would have reraised u preflop with QQ,JJ,TT and AK.I see
a good chance he holds either AQ,AJ,KQ or a smaller PP.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM

I don't like a flop check. If he checks behind, as many as 17 cards (Q/J/T/9/8) will kill your action, or more likely, kill your hand.