Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Making Your Game Less Exploitable

When I first started playing at Full Tilt four months ago I was playing .10/25 NL. A few things clicked and I turned my initial $500 deposit into $80,000. I played 10/20 NL from $40,000-$80,000 and then I went on a huge week long tilt/bad luck infested downswing losing all but $13,000. If you were to graph my upswing from .10/.25 it would be a straight line up to $80k.

Since my downswing I've strictly been playing 5/10 and it seems that it is taking me MUCH longer to ascend to 10/20. OBVIOUSLY I RAN WELL INITIALLY. On my upswing I only played 5/10 for a week or two before I had enough to move up to 10/20. It's been nearly two months since my huge downswing and I'm still at 5/10...bouncing between $15,000 to $30,000 twice already. The earning has been also much slower. And I think I know why--I'm being exploited by players familiar with my game.

Since I've been playing much longer now with the players at 5/10 they have had the chance to collect hands versus me to store in their Poker Tracker database. I own Poker Tracker but do not own a Poker Ace HUD so I can't look at stats during gameplay. I also play on a Mac the majority of the time so I'm unable to run Poker Tracker. I own it, that's about it.

I think three things have contributed to my current situation: running extremely bad, tilt, and regulars exploiting whatever stats they have on me; when I think about my fast rise as an unknown at each level and now relatively swingy, slow crawl back up I think the latter factor is the most important.

How likely is it that my game is being exploited by regulars who know my cold call percentage/aggression factor on each street etc. ?

To counter this I wish to make my game as unexploitable as possible. I would describe my game as being semi-tight, aggressive, with a bit of wierdness thrown in--so, as a fairly standard player, I'm a little unsure as to how to go about doing this and I would like your input. Is the idea to make your opponent think you could have anything at anytime? Would the effect of that not almost make it hard for me to judge how to play the hand? By that I mean that since the opponent doesn't know how to play against me how would I begin to interpret what his moves mean?

So...perhaps that's not the idea? Or maybe it is, but to just a degree. Really, what am I missing here?

Do I have to use Poker Tracker?

I'm confusing myself just writing this. The point is, it's likely I have several leaks that are easily exploitable for those with HUD programs and enough hand history with me. I wish my to make my game less exploitable.

Cliff's Notes:

Essentially, it's likely I have several leaks that are semi exploitable for those with HUD's and enough hand history with me. I wish my to make my game less exploitable.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Making Your Game Less Exploitable

I owuld love to know what things you"figured out" when you took your account to $80,000!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think three things have contributed to my current situation: running extremely bad, tilt, and regulars exploiting whatever stats they have on me; when I think about my fast rise as an unknown at each level and now relatively swingy, slow crawl back up I think the latter factor is the most important.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have this wrong. It is much more likely that you are not playing well enough to be a long-term winner in the games you play than that specific elements of your play are being exploited. Having a strong, virtually leakless game and rarely tilting is so much better than confusing your opponents. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff's Notes:

Essentially, it's likely I have several leaks that are semi exploitable for those with HUD's and enough hand history with me. I wish my to make my game less exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Plug the leaks, develop your game, don't worry about how your opponents are exploiting your play until your play is very, very strong.

Your 4-month heater is not the same as a solid, winning game.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 AM

I only play low limit LHE online and when I play I alter my game a little bit during the course of play. I start out really tight, then get really loose or the opposite. I'll show down a monster then a marg etc. I try and do this live as well. For your game go back and recheck your play if you are able to, or have a close poker friend or mentor check some hands for you. That helped me and still doe a lot. I find that I think that I am making good plays and someone with way more experience will point out why it isn't etc.

GL
Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM

When I first started playing at Full Tilt four months ago I was playing .10/25 NL. A few things clicked and I turned my initial $500 deposit into $80,000. I played 10/20 NL from $40,000-$80,000 and then I went on a huge week long tilt/bad luck infested downswing losing all but $13,000. If you were to graph my upswing from .10/.25 it would be a straight line up to $80k.

Jake,

I call bs on this entire thread.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do I have to use Poker Tracker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear God, yes. You're wasting your money if you don't. Also, with 13k, 5/10 really isn't what you want to be playing.
You don't wanna move up this quickly wither. You said it yourself, you were running hot and you were probably playing too big for your roll (which caused for the sharp jump in limits.) if you have 30k about nowish, you should play 5/10, but if you drop to like 25k or so (single tabling), you should drop down to 3/6. You were fortunate enough to build up to there, now don't waste that money.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM

PAHUD would be a good investment
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to graph my upswing from .10/.25 it would be a straight line up to $80k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaps tall chasms of logic in a single bound
Faster than a speeding big bet per hour
Can stride effortlessly on his own falsified accounts of internet poker success...
You've really outdone yourself this time my friend
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake,

I call bs on this entire thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I.

You seem like a decent guy Jake, but you're obviously a beginner. Less than a month ago, you were asking what a c-bet was.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 AM

graph .

how many hands have you played?