Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 AM

Default I need some help from the regulars here (correct forum repost)

I hope this does not come off as rambling, but I feel a bit lost.

Currently my account has a measly 150 dollar and 33W$ in it, and I feel a bit lost how to proceed from here.

Of course, the purpose is to play better poker, I have most, if not all, of the recommended books for ring play, have HOH series, and whatnot. I also read them by the way, although I would be the first to say that I need to read and understand and study more.

Thing is...I have been reasonably successful in the past, taking 3 MTT tourneys ($5 buy-in) on Pokerroom, various places in the Stars low buy-ins, and took a 4+0,40 180 on Stars some months ago.

Thing is...I feel that the more I study, the more elaborate my reasoning becomes, the more fancy moves I understand....the worse I become!
Well, at least my results...

I used to 4 table a lot of 1+20 45 player on PS, in a week I made 50 bucks playing around 40 tournaments. Of course, bad sample size, but I like to think I can beat these games.

Now, I play one table, same buy-in, use M and Q and adjust my game to the blinds and other players....and get eliminated early.

I don't know if any of you readers have experienced the same "development" in their game, but for me it goes belly up obviously, and I am starting to lose belief.

Would the regulars advice me to play much more ABC poker on these levels? If so, until what level and buy-in?

I am contemplating putting 400 dollar more in my account to be properly rolled for $5+,050 dollar MTT and $4+0,40, and to give it a shot to actually get better. I have sworn off multi-tabling, and am really willing to put work in. I love poker and always have enjoyed playing any kind of cards, but I would like to hear some opinions from the experienced ones on this board.

I hope this post makes some sort of sense, I am willing to listen and apply any serious advice I receive.

First on the list is grunching...

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: I need some help from the regulars here (correct forum repost)

I just wrote a massive long essay in reply to this but it wiped so i'm not gonna rewrite it! i'll try to summarize it:

get back to basics at low levels, start again. ABC poker will make you money here. they're not thinking on the same level as you and you can't bluff an idiot.

I think play 1$/$3 45 man turbos to build roll fast as they are quick and very soft, throw in a few 4/180s to let you get a bit more creative and play some poker and then take it from there.

Books are good, forums are great. MTT anthology great place to start reading. I have lurked for AGES just reading but now making effort to start posting as i think engaging in debate with other and better players is one of the best ways to improve you understanding of the game.

don't be afraid to ask questions, there are guys who play for 1000s each day happy to help on 4/180 qs and there is a lot to be learnt from them and the numerous other excellent posters. however you have to go in open minded and be prepared to be wrong, but at the same time don't just accept something because a good poster has said it, think it out for yourself why.

I try generally to stick to threads on my level/the level i'm looking to move up to, although there are some very interesting discussions about bigger hands but some of it way over my head lol.

Enjoy playing, keep it simple at the lower levels and you will make money which sound like the confidence boost you need. If you're having crappy session go do something else (have saved a fair amount of cash from this as playing when fed-up or tilting is not good).

kinda lost my train of thought but sounds like you seriously want to improve/get out of a rut, and i think these forums are a great aid/community for doing that.

If you like looking it as taking up poker again(although i would work my way up rather than redeposit) and just start from square one with a bit of a head start. break down your game and build it back up again and you will soon be back to your winning ways.

sorry this is so confused and rambly, am pissed i lost the first version.

Best of luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
get back to basics at low levels, start again. ABC poker will make you money here. they're not thinking on the same level as you and you can't bluff an idiot.
This is exactly right. Some people call its FPS (Fancy Play Syndrome). Against people thinking on the same level as you those moves and certain bluffs might work. When it comes to pretty much any online and especially at this very low limits, just play ABC poker. I've watched some HH replays of tourney wins and literally only premium hands were played when not in SB or BB, minimum amount of bluffs on later streets, etc. Don't be transparent, but dont expect someone to law down a flush on a paired board becase you're repping a FH or something.

Maybe play some $1.20 SNGs to work on getting back in the feel.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM

I did a quick read of your post, OP. Sounds like you aren't ready for the bigger games. I think you need to go back to the basics. Learn how to open up your game a little bit. Start trying to put people on a hand, even when you aren't in the hand. Get a feel for everything.

Here is a little story.

I was playing on FullTilt for a couple months because I couldn't stand the stupid river suckouts on Pokerstars. I liked Pokerstars alot, but just couldn't stand it. It was all because of me though. I sucked at poker. I started on FullTilt with $200 and ended up running it down to $173 where I then decided to move back to Pokerstars and play in the 1 + .20 18man tourneys. I was up and down a little bit, but still breakeven. I played maybe 20 of those 18man tourneys and took 1st about 7 or 8 times. I then decided that I needed to play where the money meant the most to me. I opened 1 table of 25NL and ran my BR to a little over $200. I basically did the hit and run strategy.

Then, I posted in a thread in this forum, MTTc, and one poster suggested I start playing the $3 + .25 45man Turbos. So I decided to do that. The first one I played I took 4th and over the course of 10 tourneys I placed ITM 7 times. I took 1st twice for $42, which is the biggest score I have ever had. I eventually ran my BR up to $345 in only about 3 weeks, playing only 10 of those tourneys.

Last night, I played in a couple and couldn't get crap. I took 21st, 8th (bubble 55 < KQ), 41st, 40th, and 12th. I opened up a 4/180 and took something like 121, played in a 6+.50 45man Turbo and took 16th or so. Now my BR is at $318. I was clearly running pretty well over those first 10.

My advice is to step back and take a break. Think about your game a little more. One day it'll just click. Have you read Theory of Poker? That book really helped me out alot. Putting more money into your bankroll isn't going to help you if you just move up a buy-in. You have to get the basics down and slightly understand the basic math behind the game. You also have to control tilt. Sometimes I feel out of control and that is when I start playing in 4/180s and 6+.50 tourneys. Discipline yourself.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM

To all people who replied, thank you all very much.

I will take all the advice to heart, study more and play exclusively 1+0,10 turboīs with ABC poker, until I have an adequate bankroll for the 3+0,25 turbosīs. Even though I donīt really like turboīs due to the time restraints and the crapshoot it eventually becomes, it must be a good experience builder.

Again, thank you all very much, I really appreciate the effort of answering my post.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 AM

You've gotten a lot of good advice already. My first thought when I read your post is "he's got a case of FPS and needs to go back to basics." Looks like you've already been told that.

That's not to say that your time studying has not been valuable and that you shouldn't continue. Some of the things you've learned are things you need. Being aware of your stack sizes and those around you, then recognizing how that impacts table dynamics and your play is one example of something you're probably more aware of and need to be.

I want to emphasize one of tinty's comments. Post in MTT. Not only hands you were unsure about, but more important respond to posts by others. The thought process you go through in responding to someone else's post to understand and justify your response can be more beneficial to you than to the person you're responding to.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM

No worries glad to help.

If you're not happy with the turbos, and it's true they do become a bit of a crapshoot, although i prefer to look at it more as a pushbot contest(plus you can work out pretty quickly who doesn't understand the concept of pot odds), then just play the normal ones, i think there are 3 table sngs of all buy ins which although i have personally not played may be better for you. try a few different structures, see what you like best, i just find the turbos nice and quick and very very juicy!