Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Default New X-20\'s

Sweet new forum!

I just got fit for the new Callaway X-20's, and I can't remember ever being this pumped to go play some golf.
My old clubs were some hand me-down X-12's that I have had for 10 years plus. I have only been getting in about 2-3 rounds per year the last 5 years or so, but before that I played 3 times a week in the summer. I never played much golf until college, so I am a late starter compared to some of you semi-tour pros.

I have heard good things about these new X-20's, so I swung them a few times and got measured and ordered them. I am probably about a 25 handicap(ouch), but I love the game so I don't care if I suck. I have a major slice(baseball) with my driver, but manage to hit my irons decent about 70% of the time.

Anyone else have these clubs, and what do you think of them? Are they noticibly better than the X-18's?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: New X-20\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet new forum!

I just got fit for the new Callaway X-20's, and I can't remember ever being this pumped to go play some golf.
My old clubs were some hand me-down X-12's that I have had for 10 years plus. I have only been getting in about 2-3 rounds per year the last 5 years or so, but before that I played 3 times a week in the summer. I never played much golf until college, so I am a late starter compared to some of you semi-tour pros.

I have heard good things about these new X-20's, so I swung them a few times and got measured and ordered them. I am probably about a 25 handicap(ouch), but I love the game so I don't care if I suck. I have a major slice(baseball) with my driver, but manage to hit my irons decent about 70% of the time.

Anyone else have these clubs, and what do you think of them? Are they noticibly better than the X-18's?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude as a 25 hcp you couldnt tell the difference between an x-20 and an x-ray. its nice that you're jazzed to play but your wasting money. spend it on a video lesson, watch your swing on a continuous loop and after you get done puking dedicate yourself to playing better golf w/ the equipment you have.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 PM

I should have clarified though, my x-12's are actually clones.

I'm not sure exactly about my handicap btw, I've never had an official one. I normally shoot low 90's, but these aren't tour-caliber courses, so I am just estimating. Back when I played 3+ times a week, I shot upper 80's more than 90+

I wanted to be custom-fit for clubs (I am 6-4 with huge hands and a baseball swing) so I figured I would go whole hog and get good clubs to boot.

After I play a bit with the new clubs(still waiting for the shipment) and get used to them, I might get some instruction. I have NEVER had new brand-name clubs, so I thought why not?

The money isn't that big of a deal to me. If they last 10 plus years they are pretty cheap. If $800 clubs make me 2-5 strokes better than $200 clubs I will be happy. I'll be the first to admit that part of my allure with golf is the new toys/gadgets/etc.

My main question, however, was if anyone had these X-20's and what they thought of them.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM

I just played my first round today with new X-20 Tour models after hitting them on the range several times. The short irons were excellent - and I must say I have fallen in love with the pitching wedge. Great club.

That said I must agree with limon. I am an 8.5 right now with a goal of getting to a 5 this year. I hit several sets of irons before deciding - and these clubs have great feel/control. If you are at a level of development where you are trying to break 100, still a good choice. But I have had that early spring excitement turn to crap back when I was a 20+ handicapper. And for me lessons was how I got on the right track. And I had to find the right teacher also, which took me three tries.

It is nice to hear your excitement. Best of luck.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Good luck w/ the new clubs, I got a set of mizuno MP-67s coming next week, so I'm in the same "amped" boat as you. I don't know why so many people say buying nice clubs is a waste. Golf is a leisure activity for a large majority, and its played for pure enjoyment. If having new clubs makes it more enjoyable, why not?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck w/ the new clubs, I got a set of mizuno MP-67s coming next week, so I'm in the same "amped" boat as you. I don't know why so many people say buying nice clubs is a waste. Golf is a leisure activity for a large majority, and its played for pure enjoyment. If having new clubs makes it more enjoyable, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt make it more enjoyable. any more than crystal plates make a big mac taste better. if you could shoot par using dried shyt on the end of a stick...then youd have fun (and win a truckload of money).
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM

I just got them too. Full swings are nice, but having trouble hitting "knock-down" 8s and 9s. Still keep my Ping 8 for money matches. Have 4 - W with 24 degree hybrid. Love the hybrid, out of the rough, its high and soft.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet new forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

dude as a 25 hcp you couldnt tell the difference between an x-20 and an x-ray. its nice that you're jazzed to play but your wasting money. spend it on a video lesson, watch your swing on a continuous loop and after you get done puking dedicate yourself to playing better golf w/ the equipment you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This may be true but high handicappers can still benefit from better clubs. The X-20's will give him better feel when he hits the occasional solid shot and probably more forgiveness on his misses. They may also boost his confidence so I don't think it can hurt to pick these up.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet new forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

big macs are so delicious....
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet new forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

big macs are so delicious....

[/ QUOTE ]

great comeback, i couldnt think of what to say