Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Default OT - First Live SNG Ever

Guys,

I play in a cardroom in town. They are having (effectively) a $200 SNG this evening that you had to qualify for. I qualified for it. The starting stack is 2000 chips, with blinds starting at 25-50 and increasing every 20 minutes. Having played tournaments with this blind structure before, I know the blinds go up rather quickly, nearly doubling at every increase (especially at the end, leading to chops aplenty). While I know we all hate "general strategy" questions, I'm wondering if you guys might make any changes to your game for this format? FWIW, these players are pretty bad, so I don't know if my edge is better used playing marginal hands early or sitting on my stack and making +EV pushes late. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: OT - First Live SNG Ever

I played a few live SNGs in Vegas. I basically didn't change anything from my normal SNG game. Don't see why you would. I dunno, maybe assign wider calling ranges? The players at these games are about 1000x worse than online players. Some of them didn't even know the rules.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM

I would simply open up your calling range in late position when loose/weak players limp early on, but I wouldn't try to raise too many of these hands because if they are fish you won't have much fold equity preflop so just see the flop and then let them call you down big with awful draws or just very weak kickers or 2nd pair because they "know" you must be bluffing.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Pwn weak limpers. People fold way too much preflop and way too little postflop. Push liberally later. If you know you have an ATC push spot, pretend to look at your cards and think about naked hot chicks. People will "read" you for aces most of the time.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Haha. Thanks Slim. I think of all the people on the forum that I'd like to meet in IRL, you'd be near the top. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]