Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 PM

Default NL25 Preflop Help

Ok, my overall game needs improving and I am looking to see if I'm playing well preflop. I played 50 hands earlier and I'll post some preflop plays and if anyone would be kind enough to comment I'd really appreciate it.

1) I'm UTG+1 with 33, UTG calls. Me? - now with low pocket pairs I usually call here, say up 22-77. Should I be raising as I find that I'm usually raised off my hand or I have to give up after the multiway flop and if i do flop a set action is usually small.

2)Ok now what about low/medium suited connectors UTG+1 with a call from UTG? call/raise/fold? Now I dont have a made hand and am in trouble if I get raised as I don't want to be playing them HUs OOP. But there's still 4 people to act behind me so I don't like raising as I find you get heads up too often and I can't extract much when I hit but then lose if I c-bet and am called/raised.

3)
Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $0.75, Hero ????

Straight call right?

4)Ok, on the button with 89,9T or JT suited. One limper in MP with similar size stack. I usually raise here to 6xBB because I like to defend my button and he's shown no strength.

5) Similar to above but with QTs/KTs/J9s on the button and 2 limpers. With 1 gappers I'm calling here but could a raise be feasible or is there nothing really to be gained?

Ok, I know it's a lot and as I've gone through a hand history to get these I don't have any reads. If you think any of them are read dependant just say as obviously that would be a great help.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: NL25 Preflop Help

I hope to be playing 25NL by summertime so Im sure others will have expert advice.

1. If UTG likes to fold on the flop, I raise this one. If he is loose and will call down with not much I limp. Probably wrong but I will see what others say.

2. Fold

3. Fold

4. I like your thoughts here.

5. Good question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

IMO, tight is right if there is a question regarding pre-flop play.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM

I think you may get better responses if you posted specific hands on these boards. Give the reads you had at the time, if any, and try to work through the hands and understand what others are saying in their posts. I think you will find it is more helpful than the approach you're taking. Not to mention you will improve your game exponentially. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM

1. If first to act, i like raise for deception value with flopped set and open limping = X (applies with all PP this low)...there are quite a few posts re this around, however with open limper it is slightly different. I like a raise however for the following reasons:
a) Deception again
b) Fold out [censored] suited connectors etc in later position (which could stack you with a flopped set to their flush or st8...as the flop is more likely to be low).
c) Possibly steal the botton, and play in position with the blinds and UTG.

Hand 2) DOnt like playing these hands in early position whether opening or limping etc as a think a tighter game ie. 20/15, is more appropriate at these limits. You dont need to get yourself involved in more tough flop spots than necessary.

Hand 3) Flat Call, assess hand strength on flop, as dangerous to build pot pre-flop with this hand.

Hand 4) 6xBB is pretty excessive. Why defend your button to someone who is not trying to steal it (from Early Position). I like the raise though with these hands.

Hand 5) I like raise here to get pot heads up. You have position, so in position raise, raise, raise, isolate, and use your position on flop...

In conclusion, you seem to be moving towars a LAG sort of game. I was playing this 30/24 game. It did work quite well, but the key is pre-flop raising to isolate, and playing position. You need to have a strong post flop game to play these stats (which i get the impression you are playing by asking these questions). In the end i am having alot more success by playing a tighter 20/16 game at these lower stakes, because the players are so unpredictable and follow weird logic that puttin them on hands is very difficult.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM

I have been posting a few hands and it has helped me immensely. It's just that I like to occaisonally play a short session and check out every hand to see if i played it right and there were a few preflop issues i wasnt sure about but no interesting hands really.

I'll certainly be posting more in the future though
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Here are my thoughts...

1. Raise
2. Fold, I will raise this ~20% of the time though if table conditions make it seem optimal
3. Fold
4. Raise 5x (My normal raise(4) + 1 BB per limper)
5. Raise 5x about 60% of the time