Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Default How Do I Play this 15/30 Canterbury Player

I am not sure how to play a guy like this since I never have encountered one online.

A guy sits down to my immediate left and starts playing every single pot. He blind-straddles my BB every single time. He is fairly aggressive, but not overly so - probably close to optimum if he is going to play that many hands. On the flop, he is way too loose but not stupid. On the turn and river he plays pretty darn good poker.

He is actually a smart and nice guy and I very much enjoyed his company. We were talking a lot and he said to me, "I know these players think I am stupid but I am not. I only play every 3 months or so and I come here to fling chips around, have a great time, and lose my $1000. If I win, great. But it is not what I am here for".

Anyway, I am curious how to play against such a player. The funny thing is that he was absolutely running over the table. He was incredibly lucky with his cards but the other players did not notice that he switched to solid poker by the turn and so they would call him down or raise him way too much.

So, I am stuck to his right. Since he is playing way too many hands I wouldn't mind isolating him out of position. The problem is that none of the loose-passive players at the table will cooperate and the couple times I tried I got additional callers.

Here are 3 hands. What is my preflop play on each:

1) folded to me 3 off the button with 77.

2) Folded to me 2 off the button with K,Js.

3) Blind Straddle. Folded to SB who calls. I have Q,8o in the BB.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: How Do I Play this 15/30 Canterbury Player

Call for the first seat change. Move to his left. Isolate away.

In these hands:
1. Raise.
2. Raise.
3. Call.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Raise, raise, call (assuming the SB sucks, if he's good, I still might call, but if he's better than I am, I probably fold).

I assume the 2nd is KJs. I raise that UTG at a LP table. If he comes in behind you, oh well, you have a good hand and a good read on him. Hopefully he 3-bets to clear out everyone.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 PM

I like free money, so every pot he's in, I would be too...
Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call for the first seat change. Move to his left. Isolate away.

In these hands:
1. Raise.
2. Raise.
3. Call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I Raised, Raised, Called. However, on the first 2 I found myself out of position with at least 2 people to act after me and I have a marginal holding. I was thinking that with these hands I may want to see them cheap because I know that I am going to be facing this exact situation.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:22 AM

I treat players like that just like I treat the micro limit players: just play straight ahead TAG poker. Put your chips in hard when you have the edge and get out of hands when you don't have the odds. I play it purely by the numbers with guys like this. If you don't know what he could be holding then just play your hand.