Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Cooking Games

I usually buy most of the video games my little nephews own. I buy them games because my uncles were always too busy buying beer to buy me anything and I always hated them for it. So I buy games for my little nephews because I always wanted that for myself when I was their age. I have two nephews ages 13 and 14 and two nieces ages 7 and 6.

I have been buying my niece, who is 7 and seems to be into video games, every cooking mama game that has come out. One for the wii, one for the DS, etc. I dont know if this is good for her. I feel like I am pushing cooking onto her because she is a girl. I usually only buy her cooking mama and pokemon games because that is all she seems to like. Kind of a weird post, but its been bothering me lately that all she has are pokemon games and cooking mama games. Its like WTF. Maybe I have been watching too much CNN, which for some reason really pushes the whole, "OMG women are being treated unfairly everywhere belief." I cant tell. Is it wrong for a small kid to have mostly cooking games?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Cooking Games

You should balance it out and buy her a couple GTA type games.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:14 PM

i don't think societal norms are solely responsible for gender-specific interests. theme is important to everybody, i think the main difference is that females tend to avoid direct conflict in games. most game developers are male, so i think they reach a little and overtarget specific games to females instead of keeping it on a more neutral keel. so you get a lot of gi joe, some my little pony, and not much perfectly in-between. when somebody nails it though, they nail it: look at the universal success of the sims for example.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM

get in the kitchen biatch
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

i'd like to help but first i need a little more information. tell me, who is buying these games for your nieces and nephews?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually only buy her cooking mama and pokemon games because that is all she seems to like.

[/ QUOTE ]Question answered
Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM

I agree with AG for the most part. Treating girls and boys differently is not necessarily bad. Treating one sex as inferior to the other is bad, but accpeting differences between them is not. Gender norms are not in and of themselves a bad thing. She likes what she likes. BTW, I'm about as politically and socially liberal as it gets.