Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 AM

Default KQ all in- too big of stack for move in?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1375
UTG+1: t385
MP1: t2510
MP2: t1410
CO: t1755
bFunk: t1595
SB: t1350
BB: t3120

Pre-flop: (8 players) bFunk is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">bFunk raises all-in t1595</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: t1495 returned to bFunk.

Results:
Final pot: t250

Fairly straightforward hand but I'm wondering if a 3x raise would be better. I'm thinking all in is nice b/c a 3x raise might cause someone to reraise with Ax or a low pocket pair that they would have folded.
At what point in my stack size should I make a normal raise with KQ opening from the button and at what point should I just move all in?
I used to use the 10x big blind stack rule as far as moving all in goes. I've expanded it recently after reading Harrington Vol. 2 to be 10x pot. I think I might be abusing this a little and moving in with too wide a range with too big a stack.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: KQ all in- too big of stack for move in?

Yeah 15x bb is too much for a push with any hand i think, especially with KQ, which is easily dominated by AK or AQ which are hands that could easily call (AQ would be a bit loose imo, but it does happen)- as well as the usual suspects, QQ+.

10xbb is a good rule, though i think it can depend on the hand a bit (i.e. with 10bb i might standard raise AA but push JJ). In this spot I would make a 2.5bb raise, which allows you to make a smaller continuation bet on the flop. This way even if you miss the flop and your cont bet is called, you can shut down and check the turn behind, and if the river doesnt help either you can check/fold and still have about 1100 chips left to play with for other hands.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 AM

Pushing is probably not horrible, but I'd go for a raise/limp.

Make it 250 or annoy everyone with a min raise. Especially if the blinds are right regulars.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 AM

What buyin are you playing?

I make it 250 in this spot. I would be shoving (if the blinds arent loose idiots) with 1000
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 AM

it was a $16 turbo

Sounds like general sentiment is 2-3xbb raise is best. What happens if one of the stacks pushes back? Fold? I would think I would call the sb (possible resteal, medium-small stack wants the chips) but fold against the BB big stack.
I'm still worried that raising smaller allows Ax and small pocket pairs to come in over the top.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if one of the stacks pushes back? Fold? I would think I would call the sb (possible resteal, medium-small stack wants the chips) but fold against the BB big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold to any push over the top from either sb or bb. A small blind push would be close, but the stacks are still fairly deep and the pot-odds aren't that great for calling against Ax with only 250 of your chips in the pot. Pot-odds-wise its probably correct to call knowing that you're a 40-60 underdog against Ax or 50-50 against a small pair, but if you consider yourself to have a decent edge over your opponents (which is hopefully the case) then stacking off this light is not the most profitable option. Thats not even taking into account the possibility of running into AQ+, QQ+, which you fare way worse against.

Pushing prevents resteals, but for 15 bb it screams 'i don't want to be called', and a suspicious/bad opponent may call off as loose as AT+ and many medium pairs 66+ as well. I think at a $16 its generally not good to assume without reads that your opponents will make sensible folds.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 AM

easy fold if they push back

also be careful with your c-bets
Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 AM

You're not desperate enough to be shoving with KQ from that position. Raise to 250, fold to re-raises.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM

fold preflop. KQ is rubbish and you won't know where you are on the flop if you get called and you don't have a big enough stack to find out.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop. KQ is rubbish and you won't know where you are on the flop if you get called and you don't have a big enough stack to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's too tight, I think. If everyone folds to me on the button and I have KQ, I'm certainly raising in hopes of increasing my stack by 10%.