Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Default General 6-Max SnG Question

Do any of you guys have a good sample size of these 6-Max SnG's at Stars to determine what a good win rate is for an exceptional player? I wasn't sure if this was an appropriate question for this forum, but I couldn't find this info in the faq or a search. I'm always in search of ways to maximize my hourly profits, and these games seem pretty juicy from the few ive played so far.

Anyway... I guess my questions are:

1. What is a sustanable ROI for 6-Max torunies

2. What are the pros and cons of playing this format as opposed to full table?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: General 6-Max SnG Question

Much like 9 max, you'll probably be hard pressed to find agreement about what is "sustainable ROI". But if you can do well at 9 max, you can probably do well at 6 max and your ROI will probably be in the same ball park.

-the pros are generally that there might be a little more skill since you play more hands and more post flop action....the cons are that it is harder to multi-table
Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 PM

if you play anywhere near 9 tables and above at a time, i think the 6-mans will not give you as high an hourly rate as the 9-mans, because youre a much deeper stack in general, especially on the bubble, so more thinking is involved, leading to less tables you can play. ROI is good and all but hourly rate should be what it comes down to. however, if you dont play many tables, i think 6-mans can be more profitable because theyre filled with weak players IMO
Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 PM

i love the 6man's, it's all i play. lot's of good after the flop play...not so much pushbotting at every level.

i've played about 4k of them with a 15% roi..and that was with a 750 game break even streak in there.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 AM

Anyone who can play more than 6 of these at once is either a crackhead or jhub. They are lots of fun and will teach you a lot about postflop play. I suppose since I'm going back to 9-max I can not jinx myself and say I returned a little above 10% over 2.9k total, split about 80/20 between FT and the old Party. That was 75% 55s, 23% 109s, and the balance 216's.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i love the 6man's, it's all i play. lot's of good after the flop play...not so much pushbotting at every level.

i've played about 4k of them with a 15% roi..and that was with a 750 game break even streak in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What buy-in were you playing for these games?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM

StarTracker has some statistics which might help you...

That table compares 6 person games to 9 person games, all buyins. The last row in each group (>150) means that there were 1139 players which played more than 150 of the 6 person games. Of those 1139 players, the top 10% (113) had a ROI better than 18.2%. For 9 person sit&gos, 12505 players played more than 150, and the top 10% (1250) had a ROI better than 14.3%.

So I would conclude from that table that the top players at 6 person sit&gos make more money than the top players at 9 person sit&gos.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM

I heard that the 6-max swings are pretty big. 100 SNG OOM aren't that special??
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Statistically I dont see how the swings could be bigger.... if a person has a 45% ITM in 9-Max and a 45% ITM in 6-Max with similar ROI's, then the possibility of swings should be exactly the same, shouldn't they? As far as 100 SnG OOM... no way.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Statistically I dont see how the swings could be bigger.... if a person has a 45% ITM in 9-Max and a 45% ITM in 6-Max with similar ROI's, then the possibility of swings should be exactly the same, shouldn't they? As far as 100 SnG OOM... no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without going into too much detail, SD/tourn will be slightly smaller in 6-max than in 9-max, because there are fewer payouts really far away from you average payout. It's not big enough anyone will ever notice in practice.