Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Body Language - Hands

I have often heard how the hands can give away the strength, or weakness, of an opponents hands.
I must admit that, of all the poker psychology books that i possess, none deal with this aspect of body language as it applies to poker.

So what kinds of things should i be looking for in a players hands and what would those things tell me?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Body Language - Hands

That depends. Sometimes shaky hands mean a big hand, other times they mean a weak hand & you're bluffing. Or sometimes they could mean the guy is 80 years old & has palsy. That's up to you to figure out which it is.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Yeah, if you've read Harrington on Hold'em Volume 1 he discusses tells very briefly but he does talk about the players hands and how they can indicate weakness/strength. Biggest thing to look for is how they place their chips into the pot when weak, e.g. slam down the chips or when strong they may stack them in a soft way. They may shuffle their chips when strong etc. All these little things will help you gain more knowledge on your players. Harrington places more emphasis on the hand motions rather than body language and facial expressions because most people are very aware of that, where as their hands some tend to neglect.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington places more emphasis on the hand motions rather than body language and facial expressions because most people are very aware of that, where as their hands some tend to neglect.

[/ QUOTE ]
that is something i have become aware of recently. most thinking players, and even some bad players, are aware of facial expressions giving away the strength of their hands, but they dont seem to be aware of the motions of their actual hands giving away anything
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM

there is some hand info in my post on tells
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=2#Post10033271
mostly to need toll look and remember who did what with there hands when they were strong or weak.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Go to the book forum and look up "read em and reap" by Navarro. This is a book about tells and has extensive information that covers what you are looking for.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM

very interesting
Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM

there's a book on tells by mike caro. has some good stuff.

it's important to realize though that it's all relative -- a player may think top pair no kicker is the nuts.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 PM

The mike caro book is not as great as some people say it is. Its interesting, but the book is put together very poorly that makes it difficult to go back and study. Most situations apply to 5 card draw, which people dont play very often.

There are a lot of pictures, but a lot of them poorly demonstrate the tells he explains. Its a quick read if you have 15 bucks to spare, so I'd still say its worth it if youre just starting out.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mike caro book is not as great as some people say it is. Its interesting, but the book is put together very poorly that makes it difficult to go back and study. Most situations apply to 5 card draw, which people dont play very often.

There are a lot of pictures, but a lot of them poorly demonstrate the tells he explains. Its a quick read if you have 15 bucks to spare, so I'd still say its worth it if youre just starting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mike Caro book is great for seeing how the balla of yesteryear dressed. Wide collars and leisure suits baby!