Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Default how to play bottom set

$0.50/$1 PL Omaha Hi - 6 handed

CO is TAG, and usually only bets when he has made hand.

Hero is dealt: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, CO calls, Hero is button and calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, CO bets pot, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, CO bets pot, Hero...?

I'm not the best omaha player in the world, but I am positive from playing with the CO before that he has flopped broadway.

I know not to overvalue a bottom set, but what would you do in this situation? Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: how to play bottom set

Bottom set on straight flops is an especially rough hand because in multiway pots (as you'll usually get when you just call the flop, and raising isn't generally an option) it's not rare for you to be drawing very very thin or dead on the flop. If someone calls behind here with AKQ or similar you have 1 out to improve.

As played fold the turn.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 PM

Agreed. It's not really the kind of flop you're looking for. I think calling would be a losing play in the long run.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 AM

I'd fold here.

The only justification for calling the flop was your position and the back door flush. The second opponent gives you good pot odds, but then ask youself, if CO has the bdwy, what does BB have? Another set is most likely, and that would have you drawing dead.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Agree with others, I'd also raise preflop.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with others, I'd also raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

wp
Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$0.50/$1 PL Omaha Hi - 6 handed

CO is TAG, and usually only bets when he has made hand.

Hero is dealt: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, CO calls, Hero is button and calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, CO bets pot, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, CO bets pot, Hero...?

I'm not the best omaha player in the world, but I am positive from playing with the CO before that he has flopped broadway.

I know not to overvalue a bottom set, but what would you do in this situation? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

???

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Even most loose opponents won't bet this turn without the nut straight and against a tight player who "only bets with made hands", I'd think you're up against Broadway here > 90% of the time.

Even if you did somehow have this miraculous read, that only justifies the flop call and only does that if you have deep enough stacks to push CO off the hand later. Once BB comes along for the ride, you need to get out of this hand no matter what as he either is waiting to CR the straight himself or else has a better set that has you dominated.