Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Default 60+ degree Wedges

I'm planning on purchasing a 60 degree wedge (and possibly a 64) and I'm looking for comments as to what people play and recommend. I realize most of it is personal preference and what feels good, but I'd still like to hear what people have to say.

It's hard for me to know whether or not I should be spending $100+ for a current-model cleveland type wedge, or if a $60 model is going to accomplish the same thing.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: 60+ degree Wedges

Well we need to know a little more about your game and handicap. For the majority of people a 64 degree wedge is not worth it to have in the bag because it would replace a more important club. Do you have a gap wedge?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:06 PM

I definitely wouldn't recommend a 64 degree wedge. I think for the most part people overuse their 60 degree wedges by a wide margin. I think I use mine about once per round on average. I can't even imagine needing a 64 degree more than once every 10 rounds for when I need to hit it over a greenside tree or something.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:41 PM

I carry a 62 and my Dad carries a 65. I think they're very useful around the greens, although maybe a 60 would be just as useful. I think the better of a player you are the more important your wedge game becomes, so for single digit handicaps these clubs can have a lot of value, but for beginners not so much.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I carry a 62 and my Dad carries a 65. I think they're very useful around the greens, although maybe a 60 would be just as useful. I think the better of a player you are the more important your wedge game becomes, so for single digit handicaps these clubs can have a lot of value, but for beginners not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think many single digit handicappers carry wedges >60 degrees.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM

90% of courses dictate that you wouldn't need a 64. And 90% of players probably can't play a 64 anyway.

I have a 58 with two degrees of bounce (I grinded a bunch off). I generally play firmer courses where the added bounce is a detriment. In addition, I can open the 58 more without the risk of completely skulling the ball.

I carry three or four wedges depending on the course I am going to be playing. If the course is longer, I'll often drop my 55 in favor of another hybrid. For shorter courses, I like to tighten up my gaps in my wedge yardages so I can score better.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so for single digit handicaps these clubs can have a lot of value, but for beginners not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha

Almost no good players use a 64 degree wedge, sorry. There is a technique called opening up the face of the club...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so for single digit handicaps these clubs can have a lot of value, but for beginners not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha

Almost no good players use a 64 degree wedge, sorry. There is a technique called opening up the face of the club...

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said most carry them, I said they can be useful
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well we need to know a little more about your game and handicap. For the majority of people a 64 degree wedge is not worth it to have in the bag because it would replace a more important club. Do you have a gap wedge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need a 64 degree wedge. I was just thinking about it. I presently only carry 12 clubs (3-9 iron, PW, Gap Wedge, SW, driver & putter) so I wouldn't have to drop a club. My sand wedge is 56 degrees.

I don't have an official handicap, but I average ~80 on the course I regularly play at (par 72, course rating 71.9, slope 127).

I'd like to get a high lofted wedge because I have problems stopping the ball fast enough when I'm 5-30 yards off the green and the pin is cut close to the edge. I find myself flying it to the edge of the green then rolling it all the way to the other side. I'm hoping a 60 degree wedge will allow me to hit the ball somewhat higher and stop it quicker.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think many single digit handicappers carry wedges >60 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't need a 64 degree wedge. I'm primarily looking at a 60 degree club.

It's probably true most good golfers don't carry >60 degree clubs, but don't virtually all tour players carry a 60 degree? Certainly the best golfers I know carry them.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

I have a 60* Cleveland RTG and like it. I purchased it because I also carry the same wedges in 51* and 56*. (Wanted to keep the same feel/look with the wedges)

I really don't think you will feel a major difference with the 60* wedges unless your close to a scratch golfer.