Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Default TR - NFL Draft Day Poker - Shout out thanks!

NFL Draft Day Poker

11 Players
$15.00+$2.00 Buy-in (T800 Chips)
$3.00 Add-on (T200 Chips)
20 minute Blinds started at 5/10.
After level 7 – Blind time changes to 10 minutes
Top three paid.

I had invited 16 players hoping to have a two table event but only 11 players showed so we played 11 handed on a single table. On the very first hand we had an all-in bet and one person was eliminated. It was a great first hand to watch, MP player raised 4BB and it folds around to the SB who decides to call. BB folds and all other players get out of the way.

Flop is:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP Bets T300, SB calls.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP is All-in, SB thinks for a good minute or two and decides to call.

MP tables A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB tables Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The SB was incredibly lucky and this hand set the tone for the remainder of the game. It seemed each big hand that was in play lost AK, KK, QQ all lost to crazy drawing hands. Three K’s lost to a made straight on the turn. QQ lost to flopped quad 10’s. It was one of those nights with a lot of ooooohs and aaaaahs. Great stuff!

I played decent but did not finish in the money (5th). The blinds were at level 7 and when the BB rolled around to me I found myself with only 2.5 BB left to battle with, my suited 64 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] paired on the flop and by the turn I had a chance at a flush, but the river ended it with no help. So I’m dealing to the remaining four players, one of them happens to be my 18 yr old daughter who just started playing only two months ago and she was the chip leader when I busted out. She played fairly well I might add. She actually bluffed a very large pot earlier in the game from one of the better players that comes to my games and showed the hand.

Everyone was stunned when she flipped her cards up showing K9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to the other player who had made second pair. She had no draw and did not catch any of the board all the way down to the river, which is where she made her bluff of about 2/3 pot size bet which would have left the other player with not many chips. I was very impressed with her play on that hand. She managed to knock out the 4th place player with the earlier mentioned flopped quad 10’s vs his pocket QQ. However, that’s where her gravy train ended and she couldn’t catch any more cards after that hand. Tough luck but she was very happy to announce that she had beaten her father, boy friend, and two brothers in the same game. The two remaining players decided to chop because each one was playing extremely tight and would not bet more than the blind and, not forgetting to mention, the rest of the players were getting restless playing .05/.10 NL while waiting for the next tournament to start.

The next two games were my favorite style of NLHE – Turbo!!

9 Players
$10.00 Buy-in (T1000 Chips)
10 minute Blinds started at 25/50.
Top three paid.

For some reason this structure really works well for me. I finished in 1st place in each one of these and my daughter once again finished 3rd in the last game we played. With the blinds moving so fast, most of the players were trying to play a lot of garbage hands; unfortunately for them I had the better hands and actually got real lucky to win three pots with A high, K high, and Q high. The only memorable hand for me was crippling one of my nemeses with a bottom pair of 4’s on very scary board, I’m on the button and villain is BB. There are four players left in the game, blinds are level 6. UTG folds to me, I min bet, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop is - Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I Check (he doesn’t have a K?)

Turn – K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I Check (I know he doesn’t have a K!)

River – 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet T500

Villain says, “Can you beat jacks?” I respond, “I sure can, because I know you don’t have any.” He only has about T800 in chips left and mucks his AQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] face up and says “I’m sure I have you beat, but I’m not calling”.

Me - “Great lay-down but you had me figured wrong” and I throw my J4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on top of the muck.

Villain grumbles and says “I should’ve bet the flop”.

Me “Nah, you played it perfectly”…said while grinning ear to ear, heck if he would have raised pre-flop I would not have called.

Very next hand, my daughter finishes him off. She finishes 3rd and I go on to win. The villain has finished in the money in at least one of each of my previous past tournaments including two 1st place finishes. He is most dangerous when short stacked and always manages to eek back into the money when you think he’s down. He’s a very solid and aggressive player however this night he did not bring his best game, heck even his mediocre game is better than the majority of guys I play with.

This is my 500th post to the forums. I really enjoy reading the strategy forums and of course my favorite reads are here in Home Poker and the B & M forum being a close second. I finally decided to register a little over a year ago after reading an article in Card Player magazine and I’ve been lurking and posting ever since. I know 500 posts is not a lot compared to other people on this site but my engineering and mathematical mind finds the reads here incredibly interesting. Some of the advice I’ve read has been very helpful, and some of it “not so much”. Most of the analysis of hands in the strategy and BBV forums are usually excellent advice and has helped my poker game tremendously. If you are a beginner at poker, you’ve found the correct forum. I know I’ll be reading this site continually for many years to come. Thanks to everyone that answered private messages and responded to some of my previous posts.

I don’t know you guys personally but a shout out to – Lottery Larry, pfapfap, psandman, Howard Borroughs, Angusthermopyle, Al Capone Jr, TT, AJFenix, bav, Photoc, RR, Cactus Jack, Bernie, Rottersod, steamboatin, LasVegasMichael, and I can’t forget David Sklansky – you guys are awesome and I’m privileged to read from your experiences and game techniques. Sorry if I left anyone out.

See yah round,

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: TR - NFL Draft Day Poker - Shout out thanks!

Mons Venus, baby!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM

lol'd

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 AM

A
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM

haha op is a donk
if this post is an A im never coming here again
Old 05-01-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha op is a donk
if this post is an A im never coming here again

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, I never got to know you?

See yah around.

P
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Not sure how I missed this earlier. Nice TR Pis.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Another good report. Please tell me you turned the sound off between picks so you didn't have to listen to the jabbering.

[ QUOTE ]

11 Players
$15.00+$2.00 Buy-in (T800 Chips)
$3.00 Add-on (T200 Chips)
20 minute Blinds started at 5/10.
After level 7 – Blind time changes to 10 minutes

On the very first hand we had an all-in bet and one person was eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it the $3 add on was a one-time only, must-do-before-start add on with no rebuys? Not sure what the point of that structure is... I must be missing multiple add-ons or something.

You change the round length to make it a push fest and get on to the next tourney?

[ QUOTE ]
It was a great first hand to watch, MP player raised 4BB and it folds around to the SB who decides to call.
Flop is:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP Bets T300, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy calls so far

PREFLOP- QT is a 1.65:1 dog getting 55:35. Not quite enough odds if you know the hands, but I could see gambling 5% of my stack here.

FLOP:
Ac Kc 0.522
Qh Th 0.478

$300 into a $90 pot? Smells like a scared overbet. Not enough odds to call an 8 or 9 with overcard kicker, but what else do you put villan on here?

Nice trap bet by villan. There's now $690 in the pot, everyone's probably pot committed after this.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP is All-in, SB thinks for a good minute or two and decides to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd be thinking for a while too, but I know that you can't beat me if you don't have a house (and why would you push here if you did?) and my heart comes, except for one card.

I have either T450 or T650 left and I'm assuming I'm getting over 2:1 here. Are KK-JJ pushing here? Only if they are playing scared.... then again, they can't make a sweetening bet without being river committed, so pushing works for a broad range of hands.

Anything but an Ace or overpair and hero's odds are good. Really depends on what range of hands you put the villan pusher on.... along with the stack sizes (hint, hint for next time, pis)

[ QUOTE ]
The SB was incredibly lucky and this hand set the tone for the remainder of the game. It seemed each big hand that was in play lost AK, KK, QQ all lost to crazy drawing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not "incredibly lucky" with a 23% winning chance. Definately lucky in a big way. I might have been able to get away from the flop if I had T650 left and I have a feel for villan's play I'm committed if I have T450... but made a worse call on the flop than I thought.

[ QUOTE ]
I found myself with only 2.5 BB left to battle with, my suited 64 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] paired on the flop and by the turn I had a chance at a flush, but the river ended it with no help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone doesn't understand how to play TPo4.

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason this structure really works well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[ QUOTE ]
The only memorable hand for me was crippling one of my nemeses with a bottom pair of 4’s on very scary board

[/ QUOTE ] I thought you'd learned about TPo4, until you checked it twice...

What the hell's with the min raise preflop from early position? Do you do that a lot? I also don't know if I like the river bet of T500- were the blinds high enough that this looked like a suck-in bet? He thinks you caught the river?

More details, please, but I'm not sure I liked his fold even though he was behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Villain grumbles and says “I should’ve bet the flop”.

Me “Nah, you played it perfectly”…said while grinning ear to ear, heck if he would have raised pre-flop I would not have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have called a turn bet from villan? THAT is where he screwed up.

[ QUOTE ]
and some of it “not so much”.

but a shout out to – Lottery Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you have me in the right category.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Sounds like a fun event!

You missed the boat on one good tie in between the game and the draft tho. Raise the levels every time a pick is made [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a fun event!

You missed the boat on one good tie in between the game and the draft tho. Raise the levels every time a pick is made [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And when teams AREN'T making deals, you've tripled the blinds in 30 minutes.