Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Default who needs missile defense shield in europe?

some facts:
USA insist in making missile defense shield in europe (poland and chech republic)
EU is against this shield.
public opinion in whole europe is against this shield.
public opinion in both poland and chech republic is against this shield.
won't even mention russia's official opinion.

it's obvious this shield is only in US interest.

ok, in case the shield would be built, what would (might) be the proper answer from russia's side? building similar systems in cuba, venezuela, etc... it seems to me, someone wants another cold war.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: who needs missile defense shield in europe?

I am sometimes thinking that the whole war of words towards Iran is conducted in order to have an excuse to place this missile shield to prevent Russia's growing power in Europe. As most of Europe do not object to this rise of power, the US choose to lie about the motivations. The US-friendly EU-countries like Poland has been overrun lately by the Russia-friendly countries like Germany.

Just a theory, not sure if it is right.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Europe is an important and strategic base for loads of our troops.

Missile shield takes away the M in MAD

Hence missile shield in Europe allows America to project its power *including nuclear* around the globe with little threat to our own troops.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Russia seems like its closer to falling apart than becoming a major/hostile world military power. I could be wrong though, dont know much about it
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me, someone wants another cold war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our military-industrial-congressional-media complex thrives on it.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Links?

[ QUOTE ]
some facts:
USA insist in making missile defense shield in europe (poland and chech republic)

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of these 'facts' sound like BULL---- to me.
Some countries in the EU may not like it but I would like to see evidence that the Poles and Czechs are against this. Russia threated the Czech president and he told the Russians to go to hell. BTW the Czech President is a great man that likes to lampoon the MCGWC (Man-Causes-Global-Warming-Cult).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why because you say so?
The Poles and Czechs will be protected by nukes coming from countries like Iran. Sounds like a benefit to me.

[ QUOTE ]
ok, in case the shield would be built, what would (might) be the proper answer from russia's side? building similar systems in cuba, venezuela, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
Russia is free to do what they want.
I could care less if they build their own missle sheild.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Links?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why because you say so?
The Poles and Czechs will be protected by nukes coming from countries like Iran. Sounds like a benefit to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your world view really that narrow? You really think that Iran is a nuclear threat to the Czech Republic? And you think the US out of the kindness of our politicians' and taxpayers' hearts, wants to build a missile defense for them just because we want them to be protected from some rogue state? Recommend you take a look at your arguments and evaluate how you process information from your right-wing sources if you want to engage in honest debate.

I'd respect you more if you just said "yeah, it's for our interests, and I support that."
Old 04-28-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some facts:

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of these 'facts' sound like BULL---- to me.
Some countries in the EU may not like it but I would like to see evidence that the Poles and Czechs are against this. Russia threated the Czech president and he told the Russians to go to hell. BTW the Czech President is a great man that likes to lampoon the MCGWC (Man-Causes-Global-Warming-Cult).

[/ QUOTE ]
let's see:
April 24, 2007 – only 25% of Poles support the plan.
Link: http://english.people.com.cn/200704/...24_369061.html

August 9, 2006 - The building of a U.S. site in the Czech Republic is unacceptable to 51 percent of Czechs, while 32 percent consider it acceptable and the remaining 17 percent said they do not know, the poll showed.
http://www.cndyorks.gn.apc.org/yspac...referendum.htm

march 29, 2007 - European Union foreign policy and security chief Javier Solana on Thursday warned the Czech Republic and Poland against agreeing to host a planned United States anti-missile system.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/45416.html

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why because you say so?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it's logical conclusion because you couldn't find so much enthusiasm expressed anywhere in europe as it is shown by US (for defending europe). do you disagree?

U.S. officials are stepping up efforts to persuade skeptical European nations about what the Bush administration argues is the need for extending missile defense over Europe.
http://www.eagleworldnews.com/2007/0...nse-in-europe/
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. in case of attack exactly those systems might be the first targets. moreover, in case of war i would feel safer anywhere else in europe but nearby those systems.
the next question is why poland and czeck republic? why not turkey, bulgaria if the thread comes from iran? it might sound funny, but i'd really like to check poll among EU countries about who do we believe is the biggest thread for our security. i believe iran wouldn't be the no.1 fear.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
ok, in case the shield would be built, what would (might) be the proper answer from russia's side? building similar systems in cuba, venezuela, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
Russia is free to do what they want.
I could care less if they build their own missle sheild.

[/ QUOTE ]
reading your posts i'm not so sure, you really don't care.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forty one percent said the anti-missile shield project should be implemented by NATO and not only by the U.S., five percent said such a proposal was worse, 29 percent did not see any difference and 25 percent were undecided.

[/ QUOTE ]
41% Of Poles want a NATO Sheild Defense
34% No (29% + 5%)
25% Undecided
Total = 100%
As for the EU, I don't give a damn about them. This is between the Poles, Czechs, and the USA. The Russians are pissed off that nations like Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukranine, Czech Repub, and Poles hate the Russians and like the USA. These countries couldn't wait to join NATO. Russia is now using natural gas like a hammer to bully these nations.... I am surprised the Czechs are not more on board. At least their president is....

[ QUOTE ]
reading your posts i'm not so sure, you really don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the Russians want to build a missle sheild then let them. They are a sovereign nation. You won't hear any bitching from me about it. Quote me if you like....
Old 04-28-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd respect you more if you just said "yeah, it's for our interests, and I support that."

[/ QUOTE ]
Who denied that a missle shield benefits the USA?
If you find out, then let me know. I know you are NOT claiming I denied this because I never said such a thing.
Clift Notes: The claim was this shield ONLY benefited the USA. A claim I dispute..

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh? Is your respect worth having?
I would rather you read my posts more closely and not make claims for me that I never uttered.

I write posts to express opinions. Whether my views are respected or not respected is a tertiary goal. Very few people change their minds from reading a post. Some people like my views and send me PMs saying so. Others do not like my views. I have learned long ago not to over-value praise nor to over-value criticism. I am a firm believer in Nietzsche's belief that "where the herd drinks, the well is poisoned". I have no problem being in the minority of views and seeking other approval is not high on my list of things to accomplish.... A person that says they like my opinions one day can tell me the next day I'm full-of-[censored]. Cie la vie.