Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 PM

Default can someone help me find this HSP hand on youtube?

Does anyone remember a hand on HSP I think season 2, where Eli Elezra flopped top pair and a flush draw with like T8 on a Txx board, Daniel called a bet with no pair no draw with T7, the turn made Daniel open-ended, so he called again, the pot got huge, then the river bricked and Eli won? I think it was T8 and T7 anyway, something like that. Does anyone remember this hand? I wanted to send it to my friend but have no clue where to start looking on youtube, cause I don't know what episode it was.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: can someone help me find this HSP hand on youtube?

i usually make a pair on a Txx folp while holding T7, dunno about negreanu tho.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 AM

You're close. It was from the last episode of Season 2, episode #16. It occurs about 5 minutes into the episode. I had it on VHS.

Eli had 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](55%) and Daniel had 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (26%); Tie=19%

Danny boy raises to $2K, so pot=$3700;

Eli calls the $1700 difference. Pot=$5400

Flop comes: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Eli is now a 93% favorite.

Danny boy bets $4,000 and Eli raises to $14,000. Pot is now $23,400.

Danny boy calls the $10K difference, so pot is now $33,400.

Turn= 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Eli is now a 86% favorite and bets $25K. Pot now= $58,400

Danny boy calls it. Pot now= $83,400.

River= K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Eli bets $40,000;Pot now= $123,400 and Danny boy folds.

Gabe wonders why Eli bet at the end, since only hand Daniel would call with, would be the better hand.

After hand is over,Danny boy said he had nothing and Eli tells him he had actual 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Lovely.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 AM

Eli should check call that hand definitely.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Actually, because Eli didn't have top pair, his bet was more of a defensive one. If he checks, then it's possible Daniel bets $40K and gets Eli to fold his winning hand.

Although based on the previous betting by both players, it's highly unlikely that Eli would fold to a $40K bet, but what if Daniel got suicidal and bet a larger amount like $120K, representing maybe a better pair or same pair with better kicker, or even two pair?

Eli was basically setting the price for the river (by showing moderate strength with River bet)and hoped that Daniel wouldn't get crazy and raise, since Eli was the aggressor on the previous streets as well.

I probably would have played it the same way. Any smaller bet by Eli on the river, might have provoked Daniel to bluff and check-raise Eli.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks Poker Face!

Anyhow, yeah, I like Eli's bet on the end. PF is right about him wanting to set the price, it's a blocker bet, but I think he's pretty sure he's ahead here too. Check-call is a good line against a good player who will never call that river with a worse hand, but I mean look who he is playing, his opponent called $10,000 on a 842 flop with T7! Let's be honest, the way Daniel was playing, if he had river a T or a 7, he probably would have called pretty much any bet there, he wasn't really in big laydown mode on HSP haha!

But yeah, against a good tricky player, betting that river as a blocker is good too, unless they know it's a blocker and checkraise bluff, but it's probably worth the risk unless they do that a ton. Check-call isn't bad either though, except against a calling station. IE. this hand.