Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Help with sizing 4-bets

I've been struggling a lot with my post-flop play in 4-bet pots (mainly due to pot size to stack ratios), and this has caused me to just call a lot of 3-bets where I felt 4-betting was probably better.

Two standard spots at 2/4 against someone you think is 3-betting light:

1) You are in the c/o and raise to 16, button makes it 52, how big should my 4-bet be with:

a) 100BB stacks
b) 150BB stacks
c) 200BB stacks

2)You are on the button and raise to 16, SB makes it 52, once again with:

a) 100BB stacks
b) 150BB stacks
c) 200BB stacks

I'm struggling with balancing my 4 bets with premium hands and air and I need some help, I'm assuming your 4-bet sizing is the same whether you are strong or not?

I'm sure this thread has been done before, sorry if this is old and boring.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Help with sizing 4-bets

[ QUOTE ]
I've been struggling a lot with my post-flop play in 4-bet pots (mainly due to pot size to stack ratios), and this has caused me to just call a lot of 3-bets where I felt 4-betting was probably better.

Two standard spots at 2/4 against someone you think is 3-betting light:

1) You are in the c/o and raise to 16, button makes it 52, how big should my 4-bet be with:

a) 100BB stacks
b) 150BB stacks
c) 200BB stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too sure that I'd make different 4-bet sizes based on stacks. I am not a big fan of 4-betting, at least w/ 100bb stacks, because it makes for akward stacks in any spot.

The thing w/ 100bb stacks is, if you call a reraise, you have usually a good stack size to c/r all in on the flop, which may be better to do if you flop any piece vs a habitual 3-bettor.

Being 150bb+ deep, I'll open up on 4-betting a little bit, especially if I'm OOP. If he makes it 52 I'll make it 150 with pretty much any hand. You CAN make it less with a hand like AA and they'll call ALWAYS and go to war if they flop a pair. You can't do it everytime but if you're against an unknown you can make it 104 to go preflop and they will never play correctly against that.

[ QUOTE ]

2)You are on the button and raise to 16, SB makes it 52, once again with:

a) 100BB stacks
b) 150BB stacks
c) 200BB stacks

I'm struggling with balancing my 4 bets with premium hands and air and I need some help, I'm assuming your 4-bet sizing is the same whether you are strong or not?

I'm sure this thread has been done before, sorry if this is old and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

In position, I am much more apt to just call the majority of hands, even if deep. If 200bb deep, I'll usually repop AA/KK and some random holdings.

I'm not the authority on 4-betting but those are my thoughts.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

ty, anyone else?

Maybe this is too boring....
Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 PM

I've never really had problems with fourbetting, fourbet an amount that commits you to the hand.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:26 PM

That doesn't seem like the best play, what if I don't want to be committed and just want to re-bluff a habitual 3-bettor.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never really had problems with fourbetting, fourbet an amount that commits you to the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of 4-betting and like calling 3-bets more is because people usually aren't that bad preflop these days. They tend to play mostly correctly to 4-bets, while if I play them postflop it's much easier to not stack off w/ a marginal holding, and it's much easier to get them off of a hand if the situation is right.