Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Ugh, still can\'t choose a major

Quick back story. I took 2 years off after high school before deciding I need to do something with my life. So as of right now I am a 21 years old and finishing up my first year of college. If I went to college straight out of high school I would be graduating next year. So basically maturity wise I should know what I want to do with my life, but I have no idea.

Every subject/major that truly interests me is one that really doesn't have a good job outlook at all. I'm very interested in music, writing (fiction/poetry/scripts), music, philosophy, film, art, etc. So you can see my choices are teach or get lucky. I really don't even think a degree is worth anything in these fields unless you want to teach, which, to me, would be meh. So I almost think just going for it and starting a career from scratch might be a good idea. It would probably be hell to start out, but it could be what I need.

I'm good at math and science, but they really don't interest me as much. Quantum physics interests the hell out of me, but I know I'm not smart enough to ever fully grasp it. Psychology also interests me, but I wouldn't like to be a therapists. I'm just really interested in the abnormal side of it. So I guess research would be cool, but once again I think there's a 1% chance of getting anywhere with that.

Ugh I just don't know. I've thought about this stuff for years now, and nothing clicks. Pretty much the main reason I came to college was to take courses and find out what I want to do, but it's so hard with all the gen-eds. Plus most of the courses that interest me are upper level and only open to majors. I have to declare a major by the end of next semester so I'm starting to get worried. So anybody have any advice? As you can see I'm in a bit of a rut, so anything will help. Shanks guys.

Ps. Sorry this is long and kind of rambly, I just don't know how to fully describe where I'm at.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Ugh, still can\'t choose a major

Psych, for a liberal arts degree, has a lot of application. Unless you want to go into engineering, finance, marketing, pre-med (and a few others), it doesn't matter that much what degree you graduate with... it just matters that you graduate. Do what you like, you'll get better grades and enjoy school more.

Alan Greenspan majored in music.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM

What lippy says is very true. If you want to specialize in anything it'll be done in grad school anyway so just do what you like (as long as it's not viewed as too easy by most) and do well at it.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

If you don't major in math or science, it doesn't matter what you major in, because at this point of how college works, you will either need to go to grad school for your subject (which you can do without majoring in it, as long as you take classes in the subject), or it will be useless in your job anyway.

So if math and science aren't your cup of tea, pick something you enjoy studying.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Or you can take something you like and go into teaching.