Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:44 PM

Default working while in school

soliciting opinions:

a little background...i'm a 27 year old ugrad...when i was 18, i went to a music conservatory...burned out after 3.5 years (i had been playing the violin for 18 years) took a few years off working fulltime in a restaurant to figure out what the heck i was gonna do with the rest of my life...moved to san francisco after 2 years and here i am now....

i was having a discussion with a friend about working while in school. she feels i should be compelled to work or at least feel some sort of obligation. she makes it sound like only losers don't work while in school. i, otoh, say why bother? my parents are willing to pay my rent, i do work one day a week at a deli to make some spending cash and basically have my finances covered. i ain't saving anything, but i'm also not spiraling into debt.

opinions? what are your general attitudes towards working while in school? also consider the fact that I'm not going into the job market after ugrad (so internship/work experience doesn't matter even though I have interned for a large ibank and a small local bank) but am instead looking to grad school programs (stats) where work experience is irrelevant. I should also add that I DO work during the summer months...i just keep the load down during the school months. Also, I've only got the time to reasonably add one or maybe two full-time shifts to my schedule without my grades suffering.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: working while in school

I personally think it's a good idea to try to focus solely on your school work rather than having to worry about balancing school and a job. You will probably be happier, more relaxed, and therefore do better in school. Obviously if your financial situation was different and you had to work, then it's something you would have to do. But with your situation it seems like you're better off concentrating on school.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:13 PM

I tried working once...BIG MISTAKE!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM

I've worked between 10-15 hours a week my entire time at college, it hasn't been a problem. I don't do anything else though besides go to class, and I probably only have 12-15 hours of class a week.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 PM

As long as it isn't putting your parents into debt to help you out, tell her to [censored] off. She's probably just jealous.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as it isn't putting your parents into debt to help you out, tell her to [censored] off. She's probably just jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a lot of kids who have to work to support themselves in college get huge chips on their shoulders, I don't see why people care. If your parents can help you out, great; if not you do what you have to do.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a lot of kids who have to work to support themselves in college get huge chips on their shoulders, I don't see why people care. If your parents can help you out, great; if not you do what you have to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I find funny. What if you're [censored] brilliant and get a full ride and stipend? You "paid" for it... cause you ain't dumb. Eff the haters. Nerdz 4 life.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I find funny. What if you're [censored] brilliant and get a full ride and stipend? You "paid" for it... cause you ain't dumb. Eff the haters. Nerdz 4 life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one hates on the nerds with scholarships though because they earned their money, like you pointed out. People resent the rich kids because they were born into rich families, get into great schools because of their family, etc. etc, which can piss off the kids who feel like they had to work for everything.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Like Turtle says: Just cause I don't deserve it, doesn't mean I won't take it.