Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Overpair against crazy villain

I actually had to tank a bit on this hand. So I thought I'd post it.

$50 freezeout in an Oslo poker club.

About 25 minutes into the tournament.

UTG is Danish, and extremely loose agressive. From what I've seen of him so far, he's probably something like 70/60/4. Raises all time when he plays. Does not get out if 3-bet. Picks fights all the time postflop. Very chatty and social, funny guy. Talks all the time during hands. Like 10 minutes ago I made a remark to him that he raises a lot while surrendering my small blind and the blind of the guy to my left who is sitting out.

My image is tight agressive. I've 3-bet villain once before, but I showed down AK.

UTG+1 is a thinking player.

The button is away from the table, so I am effectively button.

Big blind is t100, 9-handed

Hero: t9000
UTG: t16 000
UTG+1: t8000

Preflop: I am CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t200</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, 3 folds, <font color="red">I raise to t1000</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls t800, UTG+1 folds.

Flop:9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t2350, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">I bet t2100</font>

UTG stands up, grabs a bunch of chips from his stack, leans over to my part of the table, and looks me in the eyes. He starts mumbeling, complaining

"you re-raise me again, then you beeeet, are you playing back at me? That shall not pass on my watch, I'll put you in."

Villain then splashes like 10k into the pot and sits down again.

Is this even a tough spot, or am I crazy? I don't think villain is retarded or something, he is clearly a thinking player.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Overpair against crazy villain

Good hand to post. The thing that worries me is his little speech about "oh, playing back at me? i'm allin, haha foiled your plans" which reeks of strength. He knows you are tight and may have a big hand.

I doubt he has air, or something like T9. I think he either has a big pocket pair, set, or diamond draw.

Given that you have a read that he is LAG but not retarded, in combination with the speech, I would probably actually let this go. In his table talk before, have strong comments meant strength and vice versa? I would want a read on what level his comment is on.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good hand to post. The thing that worries me is his little speech about "oh, playing back at me? i'm allin, haha foiled your plans" which reeks of strength. He knows you are tight and may have a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

With his speech he's acting as if he's not strong and wants a call and therefor is strong. But he might want you to think like that so he might aswell have air.

So basically: dont even pay attention to what they say cause he might also think you think he thinks you will think something else ..
Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM

I dunno man. It's a 'had to be there moment' - basically, I'm with Aces in that this speech reeks of monsters. But I'd go into a talking tank - point out that it must be obvious I'm fully loaded and try and make up my mind what level he has me thinking on and whether he's sophisticated enough to pull a double bluff and whether he thinks I am sophisticated enough to fall for it.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably actually let this go. In his table talk before, have strong comments meant strength and vice versa? I would want a read on what level his comment is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I was trying, but it was worthless. He was chatting all the time, no matter what was going on. btw, a lot of the regulars semt to know him, and he was in his 50s or something, so clearly he is experienced
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM

I put him on FD+over cards. I doubt he has AdKd or AdQd b/c he would probabely 4-bet you preflop with the image you described so I am guessing something like QdTd or KdQd or something like that so its basically close to 50-50. I think I would still call though.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and he was in his 50s or something,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more likely to fold. How old are you?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and he was in his 50s or something,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more likely to fold. How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

17.. I'm one tall son of a bitch though
Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 PM

So you're a 'young hothead', eh? I'd think he wants a call.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably actually let this go. In his table talk before, have strong comments meant strength and vice versa? I would want a read on what level his comment is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I was trying, but it was worthless. He was chatting all the time, no matter what was going on. btw, a lot of the regulars semt to know him, and he was in his 50s or something, so clearly he is experienced

[/ QUOTE ]

when you say he splashed like 10k into the pot, did he bet a large amount, and you don't remember exactly? or did he just grab a fistful, shrug, and toss em in? if the latter, i like a fold even more. i think he is trying to use his image to get a payoff here.