Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Energy, Alertness, Stamina

Ok heres the deal
I am a student and I play poker for my income. Im at school 3 days a week all day and play a couple hours those nights and i try to play 4-6 hours on off days. My problem is that I get tired too easily. When i get tired I tilt, and probably play break even or losing poker.

I get tired too often. ill have class on monday, go to bed at 12, wake up tuesday at 10( I dont have class tuesday), play from like 11-1 and Ill take a break, by 3 oclock i could totaly take a nap again, and sometimes have to. this isnt normal for me. I am taking a new nasal spray but other than that I dont take medicine.

Are there herbal supplements I should take to help, I lift weights but dont run, do i need to do that.

Id basicaly like to be able to wake up in the morning and have a sharp mind till night. Is that too much to ask? Many times during the day im tired and my brain is "numb" for lack of a better word. what can i do?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Energy, Alertness, Stamina

If your new nasal spray is for allergies (obv)... it could very well be destroying you. (This is coming from guy who has seasonal allergies yet stays away from meds on test days... they really throw me for a loop). I would start there.... then look at diet/sleep schedule etc
Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM

What's your diet like? This is a huge contributing factor to mental alertness and you haven't commented. Could you provide some more details please.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM

um my diet is that is pretty normal, im not a health freak but i do have a sweet tooth and eat a few reeses almost every days, but im not fat at all.

would ginko, and gensing and [censored] like that help?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:54 AM

i think the thing youve mentioned is something weve all struglled with. ive started eating much more fruits and vegetables and cut back big time on heavy foods that might bog me down. you dont recognize it immediately but this month ive felt a lot better.

and you have to get cardio workouts. to get the blood pumping and clear yr head of poker thoughts from time to time
Old 04-29-2007, 11:05 AM

I`ve been looking for something that would keep me focused during long tournements, I imagine diet is the key.

If poker is a sport then we should probably look at what other pro sportsmen do in preparation for their events.

I was thinking of trawling the chess forums for info as chess seems to be a similar discipline in that to succeed you have to sit for long,long periods of time and remain fully focused throughout.

I havent done this yet but asking around freinds and family it has been suggested that being fully hydrated would help immensly. i was also given some tablets to try out. The freind who gave them to me said they were nitrous oxide tablets(?). the name on the box was N30, the list of ingredients was long. the tablets are orange and stamped with MRI. He said they were $80 for 2 months supply (ouch)

Anyone know anything about these or similar products?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Here is a good idea for energy, alertness and stamina:

Avoid grains. Avoid processed foods. Avoid high fructose corn syrup (which is a processed grain.)

Eat lean chicken and lean meats, apples and brocolli. See the paleo diet for more information.

I have so much more energy and my poker game has improved so much since I axed grains from my eating.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See the paleo diet for more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

can we have a link or where would we find this diet?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See the paleo diet for more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

can we have a link or where would we find this diet?

[/ QUOTE ]

read AZK's thread in this forum.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Here is the link to the Paleo Diet thread

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2&fpart=2