Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM

Default How can we improve SSNL

Okay, Orange's thread got me thinking. The purpose of this thread is to find out what everyone likes and dislikes about the current state of SSNL. Anything goes, but please keep it civil. Attacking or singling out other posters will not be tolerated (and will result in a short time out). Legitimate criticism of mods and modding is fine as long as is offered in a constructive manner.

This thread is not for bellyaching or complaining. If you have a problem with something then offer a reasonable solution. After all, what makes this forum so great is the posters, so I have no problem tailoring my approach a little if that is what the majority wants.

Some possible discussion topics:

1) Max number of hand posts in a day
2) Cheese thread
3) Off topic threads
4) General strategy instead of individual hands threads
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: How can we improve SSNL

Honestly, I think the forum is just going to improve its self. More regular posters are going to step up and become great posters like the past. The influx of bad advice will lessen when people start to read and learn more. I think the PSA was a great idea and I know I am going to personally strive to make posts/stategy discussions better. If everyone just takes note of that, this forum will improve greatly

OT threads would be good. The [censored] thread gets way to big for me to deal with and thats where the community is.

How about one hand a day. I'm no expert by any means, but yesterday was the first day in a long time I had several hands where I was clueless and I only posted one - thats only because I'm exploring a new part of my game. The rest of the ones I pretty much figure out as I review my hands.

1) 3 per poster i like
2) Helps keep the forum tidy and I <3 it
3) Most of this stuff can go in the cheese thread
4) It can be good as long as it isn't very basic
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 AM

1) I like the idea, makes people put more thought into what kind of hands they post.
2/3) nevery used the cheese thread before
4) I haven't really participated in many theory threads, but I imagine it's something I should start doing, and I'm all in support of this idea
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 AM

I have noticed a great deal of close minded thought in SSNL. Which is ussually accompanied by someone suggesting a play without thoroughly explaining why it is optimal. It seems like some posters value quantity of posts over QUALITY of posts.

How can we solve this problem? When you offer advice, show us how you got there. Explain yourself. It is ok to be wrong. Do not let your ego prevent you from expanding your game.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 AM

i have multiple ideas, and i'm really glad you started this thread 4_2, because I got tired of discussing in this forum a while ago. even tho i play msnl i love this forum bc i like it when ppl thank me for opening up their perspectives, but quality has deteriorated and im glad that im no longer the lone dissenting voice, which is a testament to the moderators here always looking to improve things.

unfortunately im playing a marathon PLO session so I'll get back to this thread momentarily, I have lots of fun ideas.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM

1) Don't have the say cheese thread, I think it encourages an attitude that we don't want or need here.

2) Until you have x posts, you don't have thread starting powers. I've seen this done on other forums. Sure their advice will still be 'bad' in other threads, but they cannot clutter the forums with their own 'bad' threads until, hopefully, their advice has improved through practice. However, x should be something low like 25 or 50.

3) other than that i'd just tell people to stop being babies and deal with it. if people like kililian and hobo and others from the orange thread don't want to post here and help some of us because they see the same questions then they should just leave or move to medium stakes, because we're trying to learn and it doesn't help when big post count people like them are basically saying a lot of people here are too stupid to help/deserve their help. if they don't like it here they are free to leave because for a lot of people this forum is still a huge advantage to have.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM

Not really related to quality, but similar to the BBV forum split: there should be a poker cheese thread and a "life" cheese thread IMO.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Kindly ask that very simple questions even if they are from 100NL and 200NL be posted in micro.