Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Angle shooting stories from Commerce

Having turned 21 late January, I now regularly play at Commerce in the 3/5 NL game. I used to hear a LOT of stories about scummy people angle shooting, and I have not really seen that many yet, although I have encountered a few. I'd like to hear some angle shooting stories, especially if they took place at the Commerce. Here are two of mine that happened a month and a half ago or so:

There is a regular player that plays 3/5 on the weekends, a big guy who I think is Nigerian or Kenyan, I'm not sure. He's usually decked out in RocaWear and wears large dark sunglasses. When I saw him play his first orbit I knew he was an action player for sure. He always randomly shouts out cards he may or may not need (DIAMOND DEALER! seems to be his favorite). He was putting in a lot of money with weird gutshot draws that didn't make it and he busted his first buyin quickly.

The first hand that was pretty sketchy:
I call in MP with 66, villian in question who is to my direct left calls, SB who is loose and sucks raises to 15, we both call. Flop 445, checked to me and I bet the pot, both call. Turn is an Ad, putting two diamonds on the board. sb leads, I think for a while. Apparently, villian was holding up his cards where BOTH players in the hand were able to see one of two cards, the Jd. However, I wasn't aware as I was staring at the flop wondering if I could possibly call a bet. I folded, villian called, and said "ok i call, i need a heart dealer!". SB pushed blank river and villian called immediately with J4. SB called him out on exposing his cards to trick him, but was laughing when he did so saying that it was pretty dirty.

The other hand he was involved in, limped around and angle shooter is on the button. 4 to the flop, Jack high and two diamonds, checked around. Turn is a Kd and checked to the angle shooter who bets the pot, a tight player calls. Angle shooter immediately says "flush" and puts his cards down halfway, but not exposed to the player in question since he's on the opposite side of the table. He then retracts and says "oh [censored], the river card!" I see he has no pair and the lone 2d in his hand. Half of the table that saw his cards started laughing uproariously but did not say anything. Opponent in question was caught off guard and already shaking his head thinking his hand is pretty much no good. River check/bet by the button and the tag folds what was probably a weak king.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Angle shooting stories from Commerce

i don't really see either of these angle shoots. he seems like a loud mouth obnoxious player, but not much of an angle shooter. in the first example, he showed his cards in a 3 way pot which is a no-no, but the way i see it, if someone wants to show me their cards, i'll let them. try to figure out why they are showing the cards. some information is always better than no information imo.

in the 2nd example, again, he is doing what he has to to win the pot. if acting like a retard gets a strong opponent to fold, i don't really see what the problem is.

he sounds like a jerk, but if he is calling raises with J4 and this is the angle shooting he is doing, i say let him be!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Angle by a middle aged Asian woman who plays 40/80 limit. In the middle of a hand she asks if a guy would like to split the pot, which is not allowed. The guy says okay and mucks his hand. The dealer pushes her the pot. She says, "Oh, chopping not allowed." She does not give him half the pot.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Angle by a middle aged Asian woman who plays 40/80 limit. In the middle of a hand she asks if a guy would like to split the pot, which is not allowed. The guy says okay and mucks his hand. The dealer pushes her the pot. She says, "Oh, chopping not allowed." She does not give him half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd follow her home and eat her cat.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, thats the worst one I have heard of in ages. How nasty!

PS: Whats with the millions of angle shooting threads lately? Why can't this all be in one thread?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Well this didn't take place at the commerce but it happend in a tourney last night. It was funny because while this was happening i wispered to my friend who was a dealer waiting to make the rotation exactly what was going on. It isn't that original but I always find this one the most hilarious when it works.

A kid who thinks he's hot stuff raises in MP to 200 with the blinds 50/100. This asian guy who everyone thinks is just horrible and doesn't know what he is doing throws in 2 1k chips and then right after they hit the pot the tries to take his bet back. It gets folded around to the kid who thinks it's dead money and pushes all in. Then the asian guy slow rolls him and calls with aa. it was hot.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[PS: Whats with the millions of angle shooting threads lately? Why can't this all be in one thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause Los Angeles is the "City of Angles" so the thread would be a tad long.

~ Rick
Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 AM

There's this guy - glasses, bad complexion, brownish coat, speaking with some accent - that just luuuves to be the table captain at the 3-5 and 5-10 NL tables, telling other people what they can or cannot do, berating and arguing. This while he is totally blind to the fact that he is making every mistake in the book himself, like obscuring his hole cards while still in a hand, acting out of turn, "helping" the dealer, sticking his hands in the pot, etc, etc. Oddly the dealers and floor personel seems to put up with him, maybe because he's a regular. Me, they asked to leave the premises when I offered him to "talk about it" outside when he wrongly accused me for betting out of turn and a slew of other things when I had a hugely winning session at what was a very friendly table before he sat down and created chaos. I swear I'll nail the guy if I ever play him again...
Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, thats the worst one I have heard of in ages. How nasty!

PS: Whats with the millions of angle shooting threads lately? Why can't this all be in one thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you just lock one that attempted to compile angle shooting stories or am I thinking of something else?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Maybe I'm catty, but I would call this "lady" old (thinning hair) not middle-aged. She is a loud-mouthed dominating Asian who pulls this scam on other Asians. The set-up is that there is a three-way pot, lots of raising and re-raising when another Asian has a hand, the person caught in the middle folds, then she suggests "chopping" the pot with the other Asian. I saw her pull it twice in two days. The first time the mark told her to go to hell and called the floor right away to explain the "no chopping" rule. The second time the mark trusted her and immediately agreed and mucked his hand, leaving the dealer no choice but to push her the pot. The floor did nothing either time except to remind the table that there is a no chopping rule after the flop. As far as I'm concerned, it is cheating and she should be 86ed. The victim seemed stunned and somewhat in a state of shock that she cheated him so boldly. At 40/80 with lots of pre-flop raising and re-raising, then more raising and re-raising on the flop, we are not talking about a small amount of money.