Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Ok im confused about \"facts\" regarding global warming

So Al Gore has his CO2 and temperature graph and uses it to show that increased CO2 has historically raised temperatures.

Then the Great Global Warming Swindle uses the "same data"(?) to show that increasing temperatures actually raises CO2, not the other way around.

Who is right and how do you know ?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Ok im confused about \"facts\" regarding global warming

Link to the Global Warming Swindle addressing Al Gore's graph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2baQzelLkY4
Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Good question. Fortunately, I don't see much need to do anything one way or the other.

Until I hear differently though, I believe the UN climate change report.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Increased CO2 ---> increased temperature due to an increased absorption of infrared energy emitted primarily by the earth.

It is possible that increased temperatures will lead to increased CO2 and other greenhouse gases through secondary means. For example, if it gets hotter, people will use their A/Cs more which get their energy from power plants fueled by coal. Another example: As the permafrost and snow melts in the high latitudes, methane (a greenhouse gas too) and CO2 may be released since they were previously trapped under snow.

However, 'increased CO2 ---> increased temperature' is the main idea you should be concerned about.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Increased CO2 ---> increased temperature due to an increased absorption of infrared energy emitted primarily by the earth.

It is possible that increased temperatures will lead to increased CO2 and other greenhouse gases through secondary means. For example, if it gets hotter, people will use their A/Cs more which get their energy from power plants fueled by coal. Another example: As the permafrost and snow melts in the high latitudes, methane (a greenhouse gas too) and CO2 may be released since they were previously trapped under snow.

However, 'increased CO2 ---> increased temperature' is the main idea you should be concerned about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the increasing temperature on Earth isn't doing much to curb the supply of dumb people.

The OP is well aware of the propaganda regarding both sides and of Al Gore's argument, but he was asking for someone to refute the link he supplied in the second post which claims that CO2 is a product of temperature change and not the other way around.

If you think air conditioning is a primary factor of global warming, please let me know so I can laugh my ass off...at you.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Sigh
Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing nothing about the topic, really, what you are describing is a positive feedback cycle, and I'm not sure why this is so confusing for the OP. I'm not claiming its correct or anything, but its not confusing at all that increased CO2 causes increased temperatures AND increased temperatures cause CO2.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

please watch link in question
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please watch link in question

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]