Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Variance or playing badly?

Is this variance or (as I suspect) have I just started playing like crap?

Playing mainly $50 NL short-handed, some $25.

The high point was 19th December 2006. Running 18 PTBB/100 till then. -5 PTBB/100 over 18k hands since.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Variance or playing badly?

Looks like a little of both. Move up to where they respect your raises and you'll get it back in no time.

Serious part: This is a small sample size, many grinders play more than this in a month and still wind up having losing months sometimes. If you are playing well you'll pull out if it, not that it's much of a swing to begin with. If you feel like you're honestly playing pretty well then maybe work harder on table selection.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM

Move to limit, way less swingy than this.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM

I bet that monkey in your avatar plays better.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a little of both. Move up to where they respect your raises and you'll get it back in no time.

Serious part: This is a small sample size, many grinders play more than this in a month and still wind up having losing months sometimes. If you are playing well you'll pull out if it, not that it's much of a swing to begin with. If you feel like you're honestly playing pretty well then maybe work harder on table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips... heh, moving up because I'm playing bad probably not the greatest plan, although my shots at $100 and $200 NL have been quite successful, maybe because I play tighter and more carefully.

I'm wondering if it's partly because I joined CardRunners at the start of the year and have been trying to play like Green Plastic, probably not as well as the real thing and maybe it's not such a great style at the small stakes.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips... heh, moving up because I'm playing bad probably not the greatest plan, although my shots at $100 and $200 NL have been quite successful, maybe because I play tighter and more carefully.

I'm wondering if it's partly because I joined CardRunners at the start of the year and have been trying to play like Green Plastic, probably not as well as the real thing and maybe it's not such a great style at the small stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just catch up with your postflop [censored], and surf the upswing.

GL.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM

18 ptbb is a tad high at NL50 short, dont you think?

If you did change your style at the turning point it is more likely having to do with exactly that than anything else. Especially if the new style is very aggro. And you are right, it may not be the right style for NL50.

Otherwise, I'd say it could also well be variance. Tougher opponents?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM

I think trying to play like GP at low stakes will simply not work. I went from playing tricky aggro to tightmonkey and it has worked a lot better for me at 50NL.

I just want the bankroll to go up so I can play a less boring style.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 PM

Things seemed to have turned around a bit in the last couple of sessions. Started multi-tabling full ring, bringing out the inner nit in me. I think I'll continue with this till I hit $2000 and move up to to $100 NL.

Running at 32 PTBB/100 from 1000 hands of $50 NL and 13 PTBB/100 from 600 hands of $25 NL, i.e. hot!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

*grunch*

Didn't read OP.

A: Playing badly.