Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Caddying Thread!

I thought this would be a good spot for caddies and former caddies to talk about the courses they caddy at, bitch about [censored] players, tell good stories, etc.

Personally I have caddied at Chicago Golf Club for the last 7 summers I think, but won't be this summer. I actually didn't want to last summer (cuz I make a lot more playing poker) but my parents told me if I lived at their house I had to caddy atleast 3 days a week. Anyway the course is totally badass, but most people have never heard of it (it thinks its in the 30's in Golf Digest's top 100 in the world). Average bag probably paid about $65 and doubles were very common on Fridays and the weekend. The highlight of my caddying career was two summers ago when the Walker Cup came to Chicago Golf and I got to caddy for the top ranked European player, Rhys Davies. It was kind of interesting watching the differences between the US and European teams.

Things that annoy me: bags with individual club dividers, the backpack straps that are attached in the middle (izzo style), guys with ball retrievers, guys who use my towel as a sweat rag, and over-inflated handicaps.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Caddying Thread!

I caddied at Mt. Kisco Country Club in New York for 5 years. Great job.

Average bag when I left was $60, good bags were $70. Always did doubles, rarely had a double + cart.

Highlight was caddying for Bill Clinton in 2003.

Your complaints are all good except I don't care what handicap they say they have. The backpack straps were the worst because they guys thought they were doing you a favor with those things.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 AM

Next fall I'll be caddying at some ridiculous Donald Ross course in Raleigh. It is impossible to play so I will enjoy laughing at the members more.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 AM

What's wrong with the backpack straps? (I've never caddied.)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 AM

i caddied at new haven CC in CT like 4 times back when i was~15...then realized i waking up at 5am wasn't gonna work out so that ended my caddying career
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with the backpack straps? (I've never caddied.)

[/ QUOTE ]
They're designed to be carried on both shoulders, or more specifically, only to be carried on both shoulders. When you caddie you carry two bags and can (obviously) only put one on each shoulder. With backpack straps it end sup hanging really low and still tending to fall across your body. It ends up being extremely awkward.

Double strap bags like the Ping Hoofer are MUCH MUCH MUCH better for caddies.

I repeat, if you're going to have a caddie carrying your bag please (PLEASE) get a Hoofer or similar bag (both in design and weight).
Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 AM

I caddied at a course in Westchester County NY. I have a few good stories that I look forward to sharing. Here is one of the crazy ones.

Michael Douglas was playing in a charity event. As any caddy knows, those days end up taking forever and every hole is backed up. I am sitting down behind a tree in the rough waiting for my group (they were next on the tee). The caddy in front of me, Booker is his name, is caddying for Michael Douglas.

Douglas tees off and it a low line drive. It hits Booker right in the balls. I won’t get into further details of what happened medically but it was bad. The group rushes up the fairway to see if Booker is ok and I call the Caddy Master to tell him to call an ambulance. Douglas slowly takes his time and drives the cart up.

Douglas then gets out of the cart and approaches Booker. He throws a $50 bill at him and says either get up or get someone else to caddy for us. The assistant caddy master who was already on the scene rushes at Douglas and has to be restrained.

Jay Leno actually mentioned this on his show. Douglas obviously got a lot of crap from NY papers.

$2M settlement. Was it worth the pain?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 AM

A couple of questions.

If Booker was Douglas' caddy why wasn't he with Douglas on the tee when he teed off?

If Douglas was in a cart why did he even need a caddy?

Unless Booker lost all use of his reproductive equipment then yes the 2M settlement was worth it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Golfers used "fore caddies" to stand up the fairway and locate their shots when they rode. This is essential on days where golfers do not know the course because some holes require some directing. Also many of the players at the club were morons who could not even remember where the next hole was.

Yet they somehow were members at this place.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I caddied at a course in Westchester County NY. I have a few good stories that I look forward to sharing. Here is one of the crazy ones.

Michael Douglas was playing in a charity event. As any caddy knows, those days end up taking forever and every hole is backed up. I am sitting down behind a tree in the rough waiting for my group (they were next on the tee). The caddy in front of me, Booker is his name, is caddying for Michael Douglas.

Douglas tees off and it a low line drive. It hits Booker right in the balls. I won’t get into further details of what happened medically but it was bad. The group rushes up the fairway to see if Booker is ok and I call the Caddy Master to tell him to call an ambulance. Douglas slowly takes his time and drives the cart up.

Douglas then gets out of the cart and approaches Booker. He throws a $50 bill at him and says either get up or get someone else to caddy for us. The assistant caddy master who was already on the scene rushes at Douglas and has to be restrained.

Jay Leno actually mentioned this on his show. Douglas obviously got a lot of crap from NY papers.

$2M settlement. Was it worth the pain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Glen Arbor?