Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Default $25 NL Rivered Straight

Is there anyway you don't raise this river. I was really worried, but I thought he slowed down with AK or two pair, and that raising the river is a pretty solid play considering there are only 3 hands that beat me. I knew I was in trouble obviously when he shoved but im not sure how i could play this differently. what do you guys think?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $9.40
BB: $38.65
UTG: $32.85
CO: $42.05
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $25.15</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $1.45</font>, Hero calls $0.60

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($5) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.25</font>, BB calls $3.25

<font color="black">River:</font> ($11.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $26</font>, Hero calls all-in for $4.45
Uncalled bet of $6.55 returned to BB

Pot Size: $50.40 ($2.50 Rake)

BB had A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Aces full of Eights) and WON (+$22.75)
Hero had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a straight, Ace high) and LOST (-$25.15)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: $25 NL Rivered Straight

don't post results, but I'd fold this on the flop as you're not getting odds to draw to a straight. as played on the turn you shouldn't bet without a strong read that he'd fold to turnbets often. the river is fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: $25 NL Rivered Straight

First off, you really shouldn't post the results. It would have been obvious he had a full regardless, but still.

Secondly, why are we calling on the flop? Semi-bluff raise or fold my friend. Calling is not good unless we have a good read on villain, i.e. they're a habitual cbetter when an A flops. Even then, I'd raise most of the time.

Thirdly, why are we betting on the turn? We have position on villain, who might have (in this case, did) turned a full house. At worst, they have a weak pair, maybe a 10 in the hole. Either way, we're behind in the hand. Check, see the river for free. Why raise now and not on the flop? Makes no sense to me.

Fourthly, what are we doing raising on the river? What is he gonna call with? AK? AQ? If they're any good at poker, they're checking and folding those hands on the river, not betting and raising. They're probably betting on the turn as well, or check raising, not check calling (that should have set off alarm bells in your head.)

I understand you always want to be aggressive, but when people say that it usually means aggressive on the flop and pre-flop. All of the best players are much more cautious on the turn and river to avoid situations such as this. I would have been done on the flop with this one.