Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Default 2 hands from a very frustrating 2/4 session.

Villain in all of these hands is loose/passive preflop. postflop, he calls down super light, but rarely bluffs. there were quite a few hands where he c/c the flop with only bottom pair. He plays sets slow on the flop. weaker draws, he c/cs and bigger draws i think he raises/leads, although i rarely saw him with a huge draw so im not 100% sure there. I have been playing alot of different gears vs him mostly because nothing has been working. After a while though, i decided that i was not going to try to bluff this guy, i was just going to show him a hand....although every time id make one he would suck out or outflop me. an example is i 4bet AAxx pre, he called flop is 933 we get it all in he has TT93. He has been outdrawing me a ton this session and has me covered in every hand.

hand1)

eff stacks 1,010.

hero raises to 12 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
villain calls

flop;K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](24)

villain checks
hero bets 24
villain calls.

<font color="blue">villains range is insanely huge here. he could honestly be calling here with bottom pair alone. </font>

Turn:5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](72)
villain leads for 72
hero calls?

<font color="blue">to me villains leads have been weakish 2 pair hands hoping to protect from draws. i could see K5/J5/75/KJ/JJxx/77xx as the majority of his range. does anyone like a raise here? i think he folds some of the smaller 2 pairs to a raise. </font>

river 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](211.50)
villain checks
hero...

<font color="blue"> anyone like this as a bluff card or do you think were getting looked up here too much. </font>

hand 2

eff stacks 666.

villain raises to 12
hero calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

flopA [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](24)

hero checks
villain bets 20
hero raises to 84
villain calls

<font color="blue"> pretty standard so far. </font>

turn5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](192)
hero bets 192
villain shoves...(337.6 left for hero to call.)
hero...

<font color="blue"> i really feel like his flop call was a flush draw. i really dont think he has 23 here. i guess 22 is another possibility. what could villain have here, and whats hero's line </font>
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from a very frustrating 2/4 session.

Is this heads up poker, because I dislike both these hands preflop. In hand two why checkraise with ttp? It gets less info than a straight bet in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 PM

yes what were the table sizes?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM

"he calls down super light"
Dont bluff river on hand 1.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 PM

Hand 1 - Since he's calling so light don't bluff - especially since that card isn't very scary. If it was an A, Q, or 9 it would be a lot better but still not that great if he'll call a lot.

Hand 2 - I would've bet more like 2/3 the pot on the turn. Seems like the way you describe him you've only got 4 outs max here and you're never ahead.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]
Is this heads up poker, because I dislike both these hands preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

#2 seems especially bad
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this heads up poker, because I dislike both these hands preflop. In hand two why checkraise with ttp? It gets less info than a straight bet in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]wtf. these hands are very playable against the player type described.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Preflop, flop and turn look completely standard in Hand 1. If you're going to bluff a player like this off of two pair though, you need a lot scarier card than that offsuit 8 on the river. Just check this behind.

Hand 2, the flop's perfectly fine. The people who are panning it just don't play short a lot. (I'm assuming this is HU or three-handed.) On that turn though, I really can't say what to do without actually being there. If you fold this 100% of the time, you'll get run over and if you call 100% of the time, you're going to go broke even quicker.

Honestly, getting some sort of timing tell would be huge here. Usually, a quick raise in this spot means he was planning on raising as soon as the turn card fell and likely has a straight or a set whereas hesitation means he's just desperate and doesn't want to release his hand. If he'd just lost a big pot, that would also make me a lot more likely to call here.

With all that said though, I still think you should fold the turn most of the time. Villian couldn't have picked up a flush draw on the turn, so unless he has exactly two pair and a flush draw, any improvement just beat you. I think this is something like 345x a ton here. So without more specific information, I'd have to say fold here, but it could definitely be a call in the right situation. In fact, I called with bottom two in a spot like this yesterday against a donk that I knew was tilting.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

betting for info is stupid
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - Since he's calling so light don't bluff - especially since that card isn't very scary. If it was an A, Q, or 9 it would be a lot better but still not that great if he'll call a lot.

Hand 2 - I would've bet more like 2/3 the pot on the turn. Seems like the way you describe him you've only got 4 outs max here and you're never ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i like a smaller turn bet too.