Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Overbet by FTP pro

Ok Villain here is Paul Wolfe, I am an unknown to him, but I have him as a 32/17/1 over 100 hands. He has cold called my raises with a good frequency. This hand happened within one orbit of each other. Here I played a good hand pretty passively, which is the main image of me from this hand.

FFull Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $5/$10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $1437.40
BB: $1000
UTG: $1263.20
MP: $316.30
<u>Hero (CO): $1035</u>
<u>BTN: $1281</u>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $121</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $86

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($257) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($257) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($257) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Pot Size: $257 ($3 Rake)

BTN had T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Tens and Threes) and LOST (-$121)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Threes) and WON ( $133)

A few hands later..

SB: $1253.20
BB: $316.30
<u>Hero (UTG): $1168</u>
<u>MP: $1160</u>
CO: $1432.40
BTN: $1000

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $35</font>, MP calls $35, 4 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $65</font>, MP calls $65

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($215) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $170</font>, Hero calls $170

<font color="black">River:</font> ($555) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets all-in for $890</font>, Hero...

I think my hand is relatively transparent here, so the question comes, does he expect me to call with AK here? AA? My guess is probably not, since the only hand we've shown down I played very passively.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Overbet by FTP pro

hand 1, please please value bet. you should be able to put him squarely on TT-QQ and he will almost definitely look you up on one street. especially if you ever intend to try to bluff him off similar hands.

hand 2 i don't like leading this flop usually. i don't know what it accomplishes unless he is prone to floating you, in which case you can easily stack off, or at least call the turn. if he hasn't been floating you then i can see just check/folding the turn. either way unless there's some read we don't know about, as played, he puts you where you are and i think this is a fold.

if you're worried about not being the flop being transparent, i assure you, it isn't. how do you play QQ generally?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2 i don't like leading this flop usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you hoping to accomplish by leading the flop unless he's extremely floaty and you can get a ton of value by picking off turn and river bluffs?

edit: cts you are way laggier than i am these days
Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM

I looked back over the session, and Paul was being very floaty, and giving me lots of action. He had cold called my raise about 70% of the time, and raised or called a lot of flops. This obviously effects my turn/river decisions.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM

I hate this check turn line.

1) you don' get full value.
2) You can't expect to be able to successfully 2 barrel in any future hands.
3) You will often face difficult decisions like this which will increase your variance and if you don't make the correct decisions it will cost you a bundle and even correct decisions will often feel terrible.

Since he is calling PF wide, he has K9s, 99, 8x or air your check on the turn is often an invitation to bluff plus your passive image looks like you could be more easily pushed over so...

I think your decision needs to be based more on what you feel his image of you is than your image of him. How light have you called down or have you taken any big hits lately? Have you made any tough laydowns or acted like you made a tough laydown?

Without proper reads, I probably lay it down and feel terrible about it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM

vbet hand 1

hand 2 bet/fold the turn and as played fold. wtf would he call with on the flop and overbet here that you beat?

btw Paul Wolfe suxorz
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Betting the turn seems like we won't be called by many hands that beat us maybe KQ or KJ. Against a villain that is floaty, we basically shut down any opportunity for him to bluff at this pot. Not saying the river is a call by any means, but I don't know if I like the turn bet/fold line better than check/call.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, i really don't understand this. I guess you don't bet here with 56s then?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, i really don't understand this. I guess you don't bet here with 56s then?

[/ QUOTE ]

not betting 56s isn't bad bc ppl love to bluff/float paired boards.