Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Blind defense checkup

Commerce 20. Villain in this hand is an aggressive blind-stealer and probably a pro. Doesn't play brilliantly but is probably a winner. Skinny, middle-aged Armenian who always seems to be looking for a table change to get the best of it. He yelled at a drunk Arab after a hand and they got into it, and he called the floorman over, reported the Arab's use of an obscenity, and got the guy kicked off the table.

Anyway.... Folded to him on the button and he predictably raises. SB folds, and I call in the BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop is KQ6. I checkraise, he calls.
Turn is 4. I bet, he calls.
River is 4. I check intending to call.

Standard?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Blind defense checkup

I think I'd rather bet the river and not check-raise the flop.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you go into detail why you don't like the flop checkraise? I got this from reading Stox's book; there's something there about getting your opponent to fold 6-outers on the turn. If I'm representing a K or Q here, he'll fold a hand like T7, T9, J7, etc. fairly often which is good for me.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you go into detail why you don't like the flop checkraise? I got this from reading Stox's book; there's something there about getting your opponent to fold 6-outers on the turn. If I'm representing a K or Q here, he'll fold a hand like T7, T9, J7, etc. fairly often which is good for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I guess he'd fold those hands. But given the fact that this board contains so many big cards and unpaired big cards he might have have strong (v. you) draws/ace high and given how drawy the flop is I don't know that he folds those ever. I guess it comes down to how aggressive this guy is on a steal.

On the river, I think I'd rather check-fold than check-call. Betting works too. I think check-calling allows him to play way to close to perfect.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check-calling allows him to play way too close to perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, this is a good point. It probably looks like I am making a defensive check/call when the board pairs the 4 on the river, like I have a weak K or Q and am afraid of A4 or something, so he'll never bet a worse hand here on the river.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, this is a good point. It probably looks like I am making a defensive check/call when the board pairs the 4 on the river, like I have a weak K or Q and am afraid of A4 or something, so he'll never bet a worse hand here on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitch, I know the difference between "to" and "too." I just can't type for [censored].
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's good, this makes sense... chances are he won't be thinking beyond the first level though. Perhaps a better read other than his pissing match would help.

I tend not to check rivers to induce bluffs against good players, but I will all the time against bad, especially LAGGy players

I think the hand was perfect.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand your logic here
how does it look like a defensive c/c
with a weak K or Q when
the board plays as a good kicker

it looks more like a defensive c/c
IMO if the board goes runner runner
and puts 3 to a flush on board
or if another low card rolls off

with the description of the player
id tend to play the hand the same way
Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Folding 86s to a button raise from a loose player is beyond awful. Reraising and calling are both fine preflop; I'm apt to do either depending on the situation.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How to T7 and really J7 come into play here very often? IMO you need to weight his entire handrange and figure out if there are enough 6-outer hands that will fold the turn (T9 often won't) to justify checkraising the flop. There aren't many 6-out hands on this board and many of them will fire on the turn anyway, so you earn the same amount vs most of them. I think you should bet the river and proudly announce "six!" when he calls. :P

Rob