Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Any way for me to get away from this hand on the turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB (t11980)</font>
UTG (t4900)
UTG+1 (t4750)
MP1 (t5035)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t10660)</font>
MP3 (t8245)
CO (t7950)
Button (t7630)
SB (t12350)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t750.

Flop: (t1875) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t750</font>, BB calls t750.

Turn: (t3375) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t4350</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t10330</font>, Hero calls t4660 (All-In).

River: (t22715) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t22715
Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Any way for me to get away from this hand on the turn?

Nope
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Raise less preflop like 450-600. Instacall the shove.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM

It's what dreams are made of. I saw that river coming a mile away though.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Obviously not, don't be retarded.

I'll go through your line for you though. I'm assuming buy in $1-$20.

Preflop: What is this big raise? Are you making the same raise with AA? I don't like it. Just make a standard raise to t450-t600. The reason I think a raise all the way up to 4bbs is alright, is because of the relatively deep stacks in play.

Flop: I'd like to c-bet a bit more here. t1350 seems like a good number.

Turn: BB checked to us, and we need to figure out how to get his entire stack into the middle by the river. We have about t9000 left in our stack, and that is almost 3x pot, so we have some work to do. It doesn't really matter though, villain isn't folding an ace anyway. However, let's just bet t2200 instead of that overbet you made. With intention of getting the rest of your stack in whenever given the chance to.

The biggest errors in this hand were bet sizing, apart from that you had the right idea about when to bet, raise and call.

I reckon you lost. That would have happened regardless of the size of your bets. There was nothing you could do about it. Don't be results oriented.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:19 PM

The only way to get away from this on the turn is to stop liking money. Be thrilled to be getting your money in while WAY ahead.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously not, don't be retarded.

I'll go through your line for you though. I'm assuming buy in $1-$20.

Preflop: What is this big raise? Are you making the same raise with AA? I don't like it. Just make a standard raise to t450-t600. The reason I think a raise all the way up to 4bbs is alright, is because of the relatively deep stacks in play.

Flop: I'd like to c-bet a bit more here. t1350 seems like a good number.

Turn: BB checked to us, and we need to figure out how to get his entire stack into the middle by the river. We have about t9000 left in our stack, and that is almost 3x pot, so we have some work to do. It doesn't really matter though, villain isn't folding an ace anyway. However, let's just bet t2200 instead of that overbet you made. With intention of getting the rest of your stack in whenever given the chance to.

The biggest errors in this hand were bet sizing, apart from that you had the right idea about when to bet, raise and call.

I reckon you lost. That would have happened regardless of the size of your bets. There was nothing you could do about it. Don't be results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

He beat me to it. What he said.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM

nope
Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM

good analysis Fiksdal.

OP,
Your bet sizing is WAY off. You need to address this immediately before you progress as a player. A very general rule of thumb is a 3bb raise (+1bb for every limper) preflop and a 1/2pot - potsized bet on each street.

You should try using that standard as your base and then you should adjust your play dependant on stack sizes and other factors.

My best advice to you would be a strict adherance to that betting system while reading the forums to learn about the exceptions to those rules.

You also might want to read the anthology sticky atop the MTT page as there is a wealth of information included in those threads.

Welcome to the forums,
Steve

edit to add: I forgot to address your question. After hiting that turn there is no way in hell that you should ever fold to his shove.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

The only reason I raised that much is because this was a very loose table and I know at least one guy would call that raise.

BB had AT.