Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 06:30 AM

Default My Sng Experiment

Good Morning Everyone,

I have never posted on here but frequent the board quite often. I have been playing/learning poker for 3-4 months now. Started off playing micro tables but have more recently moved over to single table tournament play. Whilst I was on holiday over xmas I thought I would keep track of every game I entered to see how I was doing overall and I wondered if any of you guys could assess my performance to date and give me any advice. I have studied Sklansky and have read both Vol 1 + 2 of Harrington On Holdem which has helped me no end!

My record is as follows.. mainly played at $5.50 tables 9-10 man sng's

Played 69 SnG Tournaments -
Won 12 times
Second 10 times
3rd 21 times
(43 times ITM , or 63% of the time)

Bubbled (4th) 12 times
5th-9th 14 times

ROI = 31%

In amongst the 69 SnG's I treated myself to 9 games at higher levels but showed exact break even:-
1st - 1 time
2nd - 2 times
3rd - 1 time
4th - 5 times
.... so if I was to remove them from the figures... a true ROI for $5 sng's would be 45% (60 games)

3rd/4th position seems to happen a lot.. does this mean I need to be a little more aggressive around level 4/5 to boost my chip count? Any tips on how I can improve all of these 3rd/4th positions???
Would you say this is a good/average ROI??

I have about $500 profit accumulated since I started playing 4 months ago mainly through micro tabling and bonus chasing (reloads etc etc). When would you advise I moved up to the next tables.. i.e. $11 9 man? Is it bankroll management that dictates the move or my ROI/performance over a period of time? Or.. should I stick at $5 sng's until I have hopefully accumulated more profit and have a bigger sample size of games played?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: My Sng Experiment

Your sample size is too small. Read more play more. Look in the faq there is lots of good info there, including realistic roi itm etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 AM

69 is a wicked cool number, but is worthless if it's the number of tournaments you've played
Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 AM

congrats on your early success. you are probably a winning player but I would play a few hundred more at your level to be sure. you are probably ready for the 10s where you will hopefully have a similar ROI (because of less rake).
Old 01-04-2006, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
congrats on your early success. you are probably a winning player but I would play a few hundred more at your level to be sure. you are probably ready for the 10s where you will hopefully have a similar ROI (because of less rake).

[/ QUOTE ]
There won't be less rake, he is playing $5+.50s.

But yeah, read the FAQ. Your stats mean absolutely nothing. You could still easily be a losing player. Your finish distributions mean nothing as well. They could be wayyy different 1-200 tourneys from now. You're off to a good start, just don't let a good run of cards make you overly confident. Read waaaaay more on this forum, and play a thousand or so tournaments before asking for suggestions based on your stats alone. You will do better at this point by posting a hand once in awhile, and seriously taking note at what people have to say about others' hands.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 AM

yea good call. i forgot people play at other places besides party poker
Old 01-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Like everyone else said, small sample size = poop.

However, as you continue to play if you feel like you are the short stack when you reach ITM fairly frequently then you are probably playing much too tight around the bubble as well as passing up good chances when there are 5-7 players left.

Not a bad start. 45% ROI is not sustainable
Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Like everyone has said, your sample is too small. Your numbers are going to jump around like mad for your first few hundred SNGs. That being said, if you feel comfortable moving up to $10 games you should think about it. Your bankroll is healthy enough and you won't notice much of a change in the quality of your opponents.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:43 PM

What is the Experiment?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:55 PM

OP, you will come to appreciate how incredibly miniscule your sample is. Fwiw, I played 60 Sng’s last night.