Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 AM

Default A 30r hand by Mikej with an interesting flop decesion

Doing a review with mikej right now of his afternoon tilt 30r final table. This hand is deep, near the FT bubble, and this hand came up which i really am not sure what the best line is post flop.

Mike has been fairly aggressive but by no means overly so, i think this is first time villain has called him in position.

Stacks:
Hero: 40,600
button: 66,400
BB: 34,900

Blinds 800/1600 with 200 ante, 5 handed.
Hero holds J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, hero raises to 4200, button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot 14,400)
BB checks, hero?

Best line?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: A 30r hand by Mikej with an interesting flop decesion

I think with the awkward stacks I like a shove. A big ace seems unlikely with the preflop play but AJ is within their range. I'm really only worried about KT or QJ.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 AM

Thats tough. Normally playing a hand like that from the middle I am doing one of 2 things. If the button is an aggressive player, I will check hoping the button will lead, if BB moves in afterwards I give up, if BB calls or folds I move in to keep the pressure on. Second option, I lead for half the pot, and against a raise I hope that the value bet lead followed by the 3-bet all-in will take it down right there.
It's different here since it's the bubble. I'm extremely aggressive at bubble periods, esp. FT bubble. So if I have the image of a very aggressive but reasonable player, I push here for sure. There are the obvious problems of running into JJ or even QQ, but the likely hood of BB or button holding AA in this spot is virtually nil. With that image, and that bet, on that board, one might fold AJ, maybe even AQ, AK probably folds and since its the bubble, as long as button doesn't have K10 you can pretty much rule that hand out. J10 diamonds is likely to be favorite here, and I think players should always take advantage of the bubble and make plays ESPECIALLY in 3-way pots. Thats just what I would do, but I'm a low stakes playing nut case. =0)
Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 AM

Any reads? Without reads, I'd say 10k planning to call a shove. If we get one caller, I'd shove a blank turn. I don't like checking bc if button checks behind and the turn bricks out we're in a tough spot, especially if BB leads out. I'd rather bet now and either take it down or get the chips in with two cards to come.

Worst case scenario, we bet here, get two calls and turn bricks, then I don't know. I'd try to check it down.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 AM

I don't think it much matters, does it? I'm not sure we want to fold one pair and the one pair hands that will give us action are almost never folding. We're ahead of all hands that won't give us action. So I think the chips are going in, if they're going in, whether we bet/call, push or check-raise. I probably bet as small as I think I can get away with and then either three-bet or call a push, evaluate turn if called.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doing a review with mikej right now of his afternoon tilt 30r final table. This hand is deep, near the FT bubble, and this hand came up which i really am not sure what the best line is post flop.

Mike has been fairly aggressive but by no means overly so, i think this is first time villain has called him in position.

Stacks:
Hero: 40,600
button: 66,400
BB: 34,900

Blinds 800/1600 with 200 ante, 5 handed.
Hero holds J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, hero raises to 4200, button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot 14,400)
BB checks, hero?

Best line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although deep for a MTT, stacks aren't deep enough to do anything but get it all-in here. There's t14k in the pot and Hero has t36000 left, so I think betting t12k, then shoving the turn sounds about right. You could bet a little less on the flop (t9k-ish) so as to have a little more FE on the turn shove.

Alternatively, Hero could check-shove the flop. If Button checks behind, then c/c a turn brick, c/f river blank, and obviously bet + raise if you hit. If you check and the turn pairs the ace or the queen, I probably c/f, but I don't like it.

Personally, I prefer the bet flop, shove turn line.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 AM

I bet a little more than half, maybe 2/3rds pot. It sucks we have the button behind us, but my plan is to bet, hopefully this will let us take it down right now, but otherwise will pay us off if we turn the flush, and if not, then we can get a free river card when the BB checks to us again if he comes along, and the button folds to the flop.

I don't see how a weaker ace could call this flop, or KQ, or any gutshot straight draws.

I always like to rep the ace here, I think most players are restealing PF with AQ/AK, especially if Mike's image is not super-tight.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM

Will button bet any 2 if you check to him? Then check-raise all-in.

Will button only bet hands that will call if you push? Then push now.

If we don't know what he will do, I would check nearly always, but on the final table bubble I would push to reduce variance.

Later,
Che
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 AM

I don't think what we do matters much postflop.

I bet 8,000 on the flop.
shove turn.

My main concern with the flop bet is setting up good stacks for a turn shove. A cr would be nice but it is more important to me to not let this flop check through.

I assume I am getting called/raised by AJ+ or sets and I think that two barrels could get AT- to fold most of the time (although w/o reads I would think that AT- makes up a fairly small part of their ranges). I don't think that we can get AK to fold with our stacks this shallow.

Pretty much AJ+/QJ are going all in anyway so we want to protect our hand while trying to get one bet from a frisky KQ/A9s
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will button bet any 2 if you check to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Will button only bet hands that will call if you push? Then push now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very possible however we might catch him bet/folding something like KQ if we go for c/r.