Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Default training and dieting for soccer

I played a lot of soccer growing up, then stopped at 14 (I'm 19 now), then picked it up and played varsity at my school (no big deal though, we were 3-12). I was relatively successful as a player given that I hadn't played in 4+
years. Now I'm heading off to college next year, and a pretty big school at that (UMass most likely).

I don't want this to be the end of my soccer career, and while I'm very happy with the idea of playing intramural soccer, I see no point in not trying out for varsity (if they even have open tryouts). So I've set a goal for myself that I'll get in better shape and get better at soccer so that I'll be able to reasonably not feel like a fool trying out.

I play forward and while I have decent footwork and am a talented passer, I very much lack good striking and finishing ability. Also, although I hustle very hard, I'm not a very fast nor quick player. My overall stamina, also, is not very stellar. I suck in the air.

So how should I work out? So far I've been running (either about 3 miles at a decent pace or like 1-2 at a hard pace depending on how I feel) and doing some sprinting (when weather permits) or the agility ladder (when it doesn't). In addition I'm working on my ab strength. Also, obviously I've been playing a lot of soccer (my touch has improved a lot lately).

The ability to seriously play while I'm at school and then over the summer will be very limited, but recently a lot of small sided games have been played all over campus and when they're not being played I try to constantly kick it around with some friends from the team.

Thoughts on training or what I should be eating?

Edit- I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and am pretty strong

TL;DR (this was probably unnecessarily long)