Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Rebuy Question

A live game $10 rebuy. About 5 of the 10 players on my table before we started suggested that everyone goes all in blind first hand to get chips on the table.

In the end 7 agreed to it. The other 3 (me included) declined.

I realise in a rebuy that it is good to have chips on your table, even if they're not in your hand but my thinking was that I was there to play poker not bingo.

Money is obviously not a problem - I can afford to lose $10 - but I simply thought it wasn't worth creating a monster stack when that monster stack will be you only 1 time in 10. Other things to weigh up is your image in not agreeing to it. Plus also coming across as completely miserable!

Would be very interested in getting opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Question

It depends on your roll and if you think you are one of the best players at the table you want to have as many chips on the table as possible. I would do it but just beacause i looove to gabmble [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 PM

I'd do it !
Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your roll and if you think you are one of the best players at the table you want to have as many chips on the table as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is if you decline, there's still loads of chips on the table, you just miss out on the 1 in 10 shot...
Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Any more opinion on this?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM

How many players in tournament? If more than 1 table, then this is collusion and it is being done to the detriment of the other tables. Look up the definition, this discussion has come up before.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM

I do agree that this is collusion and to the detriment of the other players if this was a MTT, but it is also benefitting everyone in the tourney by adding to the prizepool. Is there an ethical line that was crossed, probably, but is it ethical to tell someone what to do with their money or chips? In my brain I know it's unethical, but in my heart I believe people should be able to do whatever they want with their money.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my brain I know it's unethical, but in my heart I believe people should be able to do whatever they want with their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not how you are using your money, it is how, multiple players are making a "secret agreement" (secret to the other table(s)) for 1 player to build a HUGE stack and have an advantage (to the detriment of) over the other players.

Sometimes when it comes to a question of ethics, you just have to ask yourself would this bother you if it were happening on another table and you did not have the "option/luxury" of participating. If it would bother you, or if you would feel that it is unfair (shoe on the other foot deal), then usually it is wrong/unethical.

Basically, it all comes down to whether it is collusion.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM

I would have done it.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reponse. I never thought of the collusion side to it. I agree that it is, albeit very mild (not that that matters.) I'm fairly sure if the entire field had been asked no-one would have objected to one or more tables doing it. It's a 70 player MTT but nearly everyone's a regular and all very friendly.

I was actually originally asking purely as to whether people thought it was +ev? I'm guessing from the responses so far that that's a yes.

Cheers.