Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 AM

Default Old High School Buddies...Where are they now?

Well mine has been over in Iraq defrauding the government, lol! What a tool. Apparently after a unsuccessful run for the RI Senate, the Iraq war popped up, he goes over and says "Hey I can help you out, give me $$$!" and they did. Now his company is being sued for defrauding the government because they didn't deliver the equipment they promised and what they did deliver didn't work. I think if I see him around town next time I'm home I'll punch him in his fat face...

http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebu...ap2529644.html
[ QUOTE ]
Contractor Accused of Fraud in Iraq
By PAULINE JELINEK , 02.15.2006, 03:31 PM

A company founded by two former soldiers devised a scheme of shell companies and fake invoices to defraud the U.S. government of millions of dollars in Iraq, a federal jury was told Wednesday.

"Some people think they can get away with anything," attorney Alan Grayson told a jury in the case of two whistleblowers suing contractor Custer Battles LLC.

"When you hear the crude and crass ... audacious scheme that the defendants executed," Grayson said, "you will ask yourselves: 'Did they really believe they could get away with this?'"

Attorneys for the company countered that there was no fraud - but rather confusion and misunderstandings over contracts signed in chaotic, post-invasion Iraq run by overwhelmed and inexperienced occupation authorities.

The experience of Custer Battles "was critical to success in Iraq" because they had the contacts and know-how to do things the U.S. military couldn't do, said attorney David L. Douglass, representing the company founded by former Army Rangers Scott Custer and Michael Battles.

Attorneys were making opening statements in the courtroom of U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis in suburban Washington.

Whistleblowers Robert Isakson and William Baldwin are suing their former employer, Custer Battles, accusing company officials of defrauding the U.S. government of about $50 million while doing security work in Iraq.

Their attorney, Grayson, said that during the trial he will show the jury "dozens and dozens of fake invoices from sham companies" set up in the Cayman Islands by Custer Battles.

Grayson said one of the scams the company pulled was providing 16 trucks on lease to the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority - vehicles that had to be "dragged into the military base because they did not function."

When the military protested that they didn't work, a company official responded that they had been asked to provide trucks, "not trucks that work," Grayson alleged in opening arguments.

As part of a contract to provide security at Baghdad's airport, the company took forklifts abandoned by Iraqi Airways, painted them to cover the airline's name, and then charged the coalition thousands of dollars on fake invoices, claiming it was leasing the equipment, the whistleblowers allege.

But Douglass - Custer Battles' attorney - said the evidence will show that "no false claims were submitted."

He said Battles, a West Point graduate and former CIA employee, and Custer, who served with the 101st Airborne Division, provided valuable services in Iraq.

He said his clients "are the victims of confusion" and misunderstandings about the contracts the company had, and some resentments among employees.

"This is not a case of war profiteering," agreed Barbara Van Gelder, attorney for a third Custer Battles official, Joseph Morris. "This is a simple case of payback and self-protection."

Van Gelder noted that one contract was for Custer Battles to provide housing, protection, food and other materials for three centers needed in the program to exchange Iraq's old dinars to a new currency system.

"We are not talking about running down to Home Depot," Van Gelder said.

"This was what Custer Battles was supposed to do," find trucks, generators and so on she said, adding that the company had to "scrounge to get these things" in a dangerous, war-torn country.

Under the law, individuals may sue on behalf of the government when they have knowledge that the government is being defrauded. The law allows the government to collect triple the amount of the alleged fraud, and the whistleblowers are allowed to receive up to 30 percent of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Old High School Buddies...Where are they now?

most are probably in law enforcement.

edit: i thoght this said "bullies"
Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Not exactly a buddy, but knew him enough to follow his progression in the entertainment industry.
HGTV host
his web page

Here's another 'acquaintance':
News article
[ QUOTE ]
UMass has been the scene of other slayings and attempted slayings, although they have been rare.

In March 1993, James Cyr Jr., 24, of Amherst, repeatedly stabbed Tara Hartnett, poured gasoline on her as she lay bleeding, and set fire to her and her Sunderland home.

At the time, Hartnett was a 21-year-old psychology major at UMass-Amherst. The estranged couple were fighting over custody of their 11-month-old daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Probably in their last year of college getting laid
Old 02-16-2006, 12:07 PM

From Entertainment Insider:

[ QUOTE ]
ZACHARY WESTON Died Aug. 10, 2005

Yet another young person who may have made major contributions to the industry has died before their talent was fully realized. 22 year-old film student/actor Zachary Weston disappeared while hiking on Mt. Rainier. He is presumed dead. Mr. Weston was a senior at MIT where he had a double major of filmmaking and aerospace engineering! We really could have used a true rocket scientist in Hollywood. Prayers of comfort for his family and friends on this tragic loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a year behind me in high school. Not really buddies but knew of one another. He was a genius and could have done a lot of good for the world. This may be the worst thing I can imagine a family to go through.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 PM

Kwame Harris

[ QUOTE ]
1. Rookie left tackle Kwame Harris might be the steal of the first round. He's a 6-foot-7, 310-pound blocker with excellent feet and a nasty attitude. A lot of people wondered about his mean streak because he's a well spoken Stanford student with a Jamaican accent who plays the violin and piano. Harris has had three fights and has an attitude in which he wants to make defensive players hate going against him. Coach Dennis Erickson compares him to Walter Jones, who developed into a Pro Bowl left tackle in Seattle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny, he definitely never had a Jamaican accent in high school. He was also one of the friendliest guys in school, people even called him too soft. He also still has my Mozart double-concerto CD.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM

About to go to the NFL Combine.

CB~ Reuben Houston ~ Georgia Tech-- Had 48 tackles and 3 interceptions in 2004. Houston is Tech's top corner in a very talented secondary. Houston, who's been starting since his sophomore season, has ideal size (6'1") to deal with big receivers and the speed to run with the faster ones. He's a fantastic all-around athlete and a premiere tackling cornerback, who has also returned punts...Update: Busted in a federal Drug sting in June; career is on hold.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Don't know. Don't care.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

A good cross section:

1. Married with a kid/new house.
2. Living with parents.
3. on tour with band
4. In jail
5. Passed away
Old 02-16-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good cross section:

1. Married with a kid/new house.
2. Living with parents.
3. on tour with band
4. In jail
5. Passed away

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. The most popular kid in school is now working as a cashier in a 7-11. That's really sad, kid was cool. Cool wears out, I guess.