Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Default 54s in CO, I Feel I\'m Getting 3 Bet Light Here Best Line?

Ok, Villain's History... 20/15/2.8 over 100 hands. He's raised me a couple times in this same situation and I've yielded both times. It's tough because I've been quite active with too tight blinds and my steal percentage on this table was around 45%... but, I was extremely confident that this time he was three betting light and I wanted to re-re-steal. I thought it would be helpful to discuss the different line options here.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($428)
Button ($396)
SB ($234)
BB ($422)
UTG ($400)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $48</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero...

It must have been a timing tell, but I was sure button was weak. My first instinct was to reraise preflop, but pushing didn't seem right at the time which left me with a standard raise oop and I immediately nixed that too, which left me with calling or folding. What does everyone think of the 4 options here, remember that I'm confident in my read and willing to make a move off of it.

Thanks,

soda
Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: 54s in CO, I Feel I\'m Getting 3 Bet Light Here Best Line?

This is actually a pretty good hand to push with PF as far as these things go. 3bet to like 120 is fine also. Calling I like a lot less because it doesn't seem like you have played any 3bet pots with him before and OOP with 5 hi isn't the best way to start.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't like 4betting a small amount here. He is going to call you quite light in position since it is relatively cheap for him. If you want to combat the his 3bet, I would 4bet large (175-200) and at this point, you would have to call a push...but I would prefer just 4bet pushing. That being said, just because you suspect he is 3betting you light, doesn't mean you have to defend against it with marginal hands.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Oh, and calling is definitely the worst option of the 4.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and calling is definitely the worst option of the 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured as much, hence the post. So, naturally, I called his bet looking to play well after the flop oop - lol.

Flop: ($51) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">

Having (for some unknown reason) smooth called preflop, what would be the most profitable line here? Fold? Donk? CRAI?

Thanks,

soda
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM

preflop i like a 4bet to around 135 bc i think it looks stronger than ai here and i dont really like a flat call oop, and u can push any flop pretty much if he calls. on that flop if youre pretty confident he was 3betting light, i like a crai or just a fold. its a pretty good board for a crai i think if he was 3betting light. if you donk into him i just seem him raising you with any 2.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:46 PM

this would've been good to make it 135 with

but since you didn't, CR AI
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like 4betting a small amount here. He is going to call you quite light in position since it is relatively cheap for him. If you want to combat the his 3bet, I would 4bet large (175-200) and at this point, you would have to call a push...but I would prefer just 4bet pushing. That being said, just because you suspect he is 3betting you light, doesn't mean you have to defend against it with marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you that calling is the worst option here, but i dont like a reraise ai in these spots either. you're risking 100bb to win 17 and are you ever doing this with AA/KK? if you're doing this with AA/KK too then i do like a 4bet ai here, otherwise just a standard 4bet and get it in on any flop.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is actually a pretty good hand to push with PF as far as these things go.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen you do this, but I don't agree. IMO, A5s would be superior, not because it fares better against his calling range (although it does, negligibly), but more because it blocks the likelihood of being called by way of reducing combos.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Really nice responses guys, thanks.

I actually donked the flop, which I instantly knew was a mistake because he pushed all in immediately. This hand seemed destined to be a whoever got all in first wins type hand, but then I compounded my earlier mistakes further by calling the all in. He had 76s and won the pot.

This hand really bothered me because I'm not at a point in my NL game where I can play these high level hands well (yet) and I end up playing them extremely poorly. So, thanks for the thoughts so far.

I'll check in again later tonight, if anyone has further comments.

Thanks,

soda