Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Anybody read Sklansky on Poker?

Just wondering if anybody here has read it...I'm thinking of buying it bc of its razz section and I was just wondering if the other general poker essays included in the book are new and insightful or if they are covered in TOP...its a toss up between this and ray zee's split poker...I enjoy all games so would like to hear your opinions on both books...thank you in advance
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Anybody read Sklansky on Poker?

No, this has come up before. No on in the stud forum has read this book. A few people have heard of it though.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, this has come up before. No on in the stud forum has read this book. A few people have heard of it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

click on the "search" link at the top of this page, enter Sklansky on Razz and you will find a wealth of opinions. Some of them are even worth the paper they're printed on...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:24 PM

I have the book. In terms of value, I think Zee's split pot poker gives you more good stuff for your buck. Sklansky on poker mainly is a bunch of essays on a lot of misc topics such as rake, what game requires most skill, etc etc. Similar to a lot of his posts on this forum.

The sklansky on razz portion is very complete. Its a typical 2+2 book were it just pretty much sums everything up very well and allows you to get your head into the game very quickly.

But the split pot book goes through basically two games. So you get in depth analysis of two games that are more popular vs analysis of a not as popular game that require less thinking with a bunch of interesting probably not so practical essays.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 PM

thank you for the info
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 PM

If you want to play razz, you HAVE to read the book.

There are a few 'auto plays' that, once you understand them, you start to crush the games.

YOu dont get caught by them, and you catch others with them. And then you can decide whether you rr on third, or just call, to abuse them further.

I played 23 tourneys, never making any of the big money, even though i knew the others were bad.

Got the book, read it a couple of times, and (have only played three since), got a 5th, 18th, and a second.

Hideously small sample mind you, but i seriously believe if you ever want to beat razz, you just gotta read it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:57 AM

Both Sklansky on Poker and Ray's high-low book are excellent. Either book is all you need to beat that game. Both should pay for themselves many time over if you have anything resembling a clue. The potential reward is probably greater in stud/8.