Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Adjusting to NL200

Hi all,

This is my first real post here I think. I have been a lurker for about 6 months or so. I'll give you a little bit of my poker history. If you don't care, just skip the rest of this paragraph. I have been playing real money games for about 8 months now, starting at the micros and working my way up to NL200. Before that I learned the basics on play money tables. Don't take this the wrong way, I can assure you that I read 2+2 nearly daily, as well as some other forums and while I realize that I probably have several leaks in my game, I am a winner at the micros. While I enjoy the occasional SNG or MTT, I feel cash is the most profitable game for me. I have always kept at least 20 buy in's for my level, while taking occasional shots at the next level. I have recently grown my bankroll to the point where I am rolled to play NL200, but still play the 100's as well. I have also done some experimenting with shortstacking NL200. While it has gone well, I really prefer to play with a full stack.

My real question is adjusting to the playing style of NL200 players. Let me just post a hand to illustrate. Sorry, no hand converter. I play on Poker.com, and have not found a way to post the hand histories. Also no pokertracker of course.

The hand is NL$200 full ring.

Folded around to me and I raise AA to $8 from middle position.
Only villain in the big blind calls. I cover villain's $191 stack.
Flop A 7 4 rainbow (pot=$16)
villain checks
hero bets $12
villain calls $12
Turn 2 completing the rainbow (pot=$40)
villain bets $41
hero calls $41
River J (pot=$122)
villain bets $130 (all-in)
hero calls $130
Final pot = $382

Yes, he had 35 clubs. The only club on the flop was the A.
I know this was a cooler. Please don't tell me to run to BBV. My question is, can it be profitable to call preflop raises OOP with low suited cards? What about the call that villain made on the flop in this hand? Is that a call that any of you would make, or is he just a donk? If this opponent has been paying attention, he probably realizes that I am mainly raising premium hands like TT+, AQ+. However, I will occasionaly raise suited connectors and lower pocket pairs with position. Against TAG opponents like myself, can calling with 35s oop be profitable? Is this something that I should try to incorporate into my game? I didn't see as many players making plays like this at NL100. These are honest questions and by no means do I want this to be taken as a bad beat post. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. And I must say, this forum has been a great resource for me.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to NL200

There is a fullring forum. As to the pf call thats what makes the games good. As to the flop call, its standard, he has a double gutter.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to NL200

Um, so I feel like a donk myself. For some reason I was thinking villain just had a gutshot draw on the flop, but obviously it was open ended. Alright flame away. I really like villain's play now. But still, any advice on adjusting to NL200 or what your experience was like in the transition would be great.