Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Default How much value can I pump?

Reads: Table passive, none of the 5 hands I've been here for went to SD, all folded to aggression.

Situation: *I* was the aggressor in the last 4 hands, getting folds to my raises. Never mind they were solid raises, I look like a king LAG.

No Limit 5 Card Draw ($0.25/$0.50) (converter)

SB ($33.65), Seat 6
Hero ($32.25), Seat 1
UTG ($51.50), Seat 2
CO ($25.80), Seat 3
Button ($44.55), Seat 4

SB posts $0.25. Hero posts $0.50.

Hero is BB with [5d Ah Kh 2c Tc]

Round 1: ($0.75)

<font color="green">UTG calls. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font><font color="green">Hero checks. </font>
SB takes 3. Hero discards 5d 2c Tc. UTG takes 3.

Hero has [Ah Kh Jd Qh Ts]

Round 2: ($1.50)

<font color="red">SB bets $1. </font> Hero...

I want the best value here so I want 2 calls from 2 pair/trip hands. I need to treat a re-raise gingerly here as that may well be a flush (or a baby boat, but doubtful w/o a raise).

What is the max raise to get loose look-him-up calls? (My as-played hunch is below)

Results: (in white)

<font color="white">SB bets $1. Hero raises $1 to $2. UTG calls. SB calls.

Total pot $7.50 | Rake $0.35

Hero had [Jd Ah Kh Qh Ts] and won ($7.15) with a straight, Ten to Ace.
UTG had [Qd 6d Kd 6c Kc].
SB had [9s 3c 9h Ks 9c].
</font>
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: How much value can I pump?

[ QUOTE ]
I want the best value here so I want 2 calls from 2 pair/trip hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is one of those spots where Ed Miller's concept of just shoving to get the most value may apply. You get called less often but make more money. I think it works here because they're just itching to prove you're FOS.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 AM

Raise to 4.50ish would be pretty standard. Opponents have to be pretty terrible to push in here, but if you think they'll call with small-mid trips, then it might be worth doing.

Whatever you do, don't put in a stupid mini raise like you did. Absolutely the worst raise option, especially against weak players at these stakes. If you'd raised to 5 sb would have still called, and utg might have made a bad call. If you'd pushed, sb might be bad enough to call. It's difficult to play the hand worse than you did.

If you're concerned that your opponents have flushes/boats here, you have a lot of work to do on your draw game. Also, if you're really worried about getting value, make real bets/raises. Making tiny value bets/raises is a great way to make less money.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM

The reason I keep my bet small is to get overcalls.

Here's a push with no value. (PF raiser was the only solid player, I imagine my call suprised him, I never just call ever!)

Pot Limit 5 Card Draw ($0.25/$0.50) (converter)

SB ($65.60), Seat 4
Hero ($37.55), Seat 5
UTG ($17.90), Seat 6
CO ($9.45), Seat 2
Button ($8.55), Seat 3

SB posts $0.25. Hero posts $0.50.

Hero is BB with [Qc Kd Ks 6c 4h]

Round 1: ($0.75)

<font color="#666666">UTG folds. </font><font color="green">CO calls. </font><font color="green">Button calls. </font><font color="red">SB raises $0.50 to $1. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font><font color="green">CO calls. </font><font color="green">Button calls. </font>
SB takes 1. Hero discards Qc 6c 4h. CO takes 3. Button takes 3.

Hero has [Kd Ks 8c 8s Kc]

Round 2: ($4)

<font color="red">SB bets $2. </font><font color="red">Hero raises $2 to $4. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font>

Pot: ($8)

Results: (in white)

<font color="white">Total pot $8 | Rake $0.35

</font>

Here, had I just smooth called him I may have got an over call (just one, doubt two).

If the cheif villain here re-raises me of course I all-in him, I'm still not sure if the occasional big kill (and big loss) outweighs the slow and steady.