Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -related)

First off, my last post got locked but i talked with NT and decided to rephrase it. DO NOT POST ANY VIRGINA TECH CONTENT IN HERE. We all know what happened and the stories coming out and there is already a 20 page VT thread in OOT...so don't post any of that crap here.

This is to discuss all the people that I used to like and have respect for but now I think suck for all the attention they bring to themselves...from previous thread:

[ QUOTE ]
So a ton of my friends and acquaintances have been leaving VT msgs up, changing their face book/profile/aim/whatever/ pics to VT unite, VT black ribbon and all sorts of other crap pictures. Most have ZERO affiliation with VT. Like don't even live within 50 miles of someone who had a cousin who had a friend who had a dog that might know someone that might have gone there. I can't explain why, but I think people that do this suck. I'm probably going to get flamed on here for this, but I just feel like a lot of people are being really dramatic and freaking out about what happened. Yes it was horrible, hopefully it won't happen again. Yes the world is screwed up, is there something wrong with me that I seem to be the only one going on with my daily life? This is probably a bit early since it hasn't even been a week but when I see people with a msg: "at the mall shopping... p.s. my hearts and prayers are with you VT" it DRIVES ME NUTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am i wrong for feeling this way?

I also realize that I am somewhat hypocritical because when 9/11, katrina, tsunami all came along I didn't criticize people for whatever they may have put up in away msgs/blogs/etc, for whatever reason, these events also hit me more than the VT one (probably an interesting separate topic on why that is, do any of you feel that way as well?), that is probably the main reason why I am really fed up with these people. Either way, what do you all say?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -relate

meleader2 sent me a PM that i think is perfect:

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Im in 100% agreement with you, and was (not truly) shocked when my g/f was mad at me for not being concerned.

only sending this cuz i couldn't post it. also, FWIW, on the SAME day, 170 people in baghdad died (let alone everyday) and noone even mentioned it here. it is a small link at the bottom of a CNN page.

we're desensitized to violence, but when it happens on US soil suddenly it's OMG and NO WAI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM

i tried to post in thread, it got locked, then posted in VT thread.

here's my post.

I saw one facebook group called "In Loving Memory of Stack", the marching band/RA that was killed. I then see that the person who started the group goes to HS in CA, and apparently doesn't even know this person. I think mourning publicly is fine, and even posting wishes of condolences and prayers are fine. there are, however, some people that are saying "look at me! look how compassionate i am!". empathy is great, real emotion displayed publicly is fine, but these people suck.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -related)

I think its a little much, but really I'm indifferent.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -related)

Thousands of people dying > 33 people dying

33 people dying is lame & senseless.
Thousands of people dying is a tragedy.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

AZK,

To a small certain extent I agree. Sometimes it really feels obligitory and fake and is placed on different things for certain agendas other than showing compassion towards those who are feeling pain.

But this morning, watching the today show interviewing the dad of one of the victims, I started tearing up because I felt so bad and so much pain for that man. My heart and prayers DO go out to him and all others who are feeling pain.

And that's ok, which I think you would agree with. I think the issue you have are the people who advertise how much they care to increase self awareness?

I guess to a certain extent I can agree with that I guess.

But each person can grieve/be affected by such occurences in many different ways, I think it shows an poor taste to be judgemental of others whom you really have no idea what their intent is. It's not fair.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Flattening of affect is one of the early signs of psychosis.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:02 PM

To clarify, I mostly agree with AZK, although it's one of those things that I don't really bother calling people out on, because it makes you seem like a huge nit / sourpuss or whatever. People can discuss this both in the VT context and outside it, especially if they have other examples.

For instance I think when sportswriters talk about something like VT or Cory Lidle 'really putting things in perspective,' and giving these big tributes, it's such a load of crap. Any reasonable person can already put sports in perspective and knows that life is way more important. Like the facebook groups or whatever, it's just the sportswriter's way of butting into an issue that isn't really within the scope of their task.

Awesome Dugout episode about this issue
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM

I do think its ridiculously sad that you lose respect for people simply because they felt the need to express sympathy/empathy for the people who have had to deal with this. And maybe it is simply becuase it hits so close to home, what of it? Judging people for a show of emotion is lame, but to each their own.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM

AZK - lets' name some names in this thread. Which OOTers are most guilty of this?