Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Chess Study Group # A

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me hijacking this study group for a time or two. I'm trying to convince myself to re-study Zurich 1953, so I'll be posting the games from that tournament/Bronstein's book on here. Hopefully these will be useful for everyone.

Game #1 is an interesting catalan between Laszlo Szabo and Efim Geller. I'd encourage everyone to try to view the game, at least the first time through, from white's perspective, especially focusing on dark square weaknesses. Here's a sweet quote from Bronstein in the introduction to the game:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1136788

Position #1 - 11 ... Qxe7

What was the point of the last 3 moves for white? Why did he go to such lengths to trade off the dark squared bishops? What squares are particularly weak in black's camp? What sort of future strategy does this suggest for white?

Position #2 - 13 ... c5

Why is 13 ... c5 important in this sort of position? What previous moves did Geller make that gave us hints that he would later play c5?

Position #3 - 21. Rc1

White currently owns the c-file. Can black take it from him with Rc8? What is "always" the goal of controlling a file with your major pieces?

Position #4 - 23. a3

What advantages belong to white in this position? How about to black? Given white's control of the dark squares, would 22 ... Bxf3 be a good or bad move, and why? Where would the white knight most like to go if you simply pick him up and place him on any given square? Why is white's next move important?

Position #5 - Variation 25. Qa7

This move is given by Bronstein in his annotations. How does this move help white continue his dominance of the white squares? In order to play this move, white would have to be extremely accurate in calculating some of the key variations. Give the tactical justification if black plays A) 25 ... Ra8 B) 25 ... Kf8 C) 25 ... Rd7. What are the correct continuations that allow white to keep an advantage?

Black's best continuation is actually 25 ... e4, but this move for white demonstrates an extremely important point. In chess you don't have to consistently find the "best" move to win. What you must do to be successful is to consistently provide your opponent with difficult problems to solve. This really is the heart of chess. Each player strives to pose more and tougher problems for their opponent, until one or the other makes a fatal error.

Position #6 - 28 ... Re7

Which side is better here or are both sides about equal now that white's advantage on the dark squares is gone? Is there a way for white to draw the game from this position by force?

Position #7 - 38. Bg2

Black is now definitely better. What is the correct plan (in general terms) for black?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Chess Study Group # A

cool thread, I will give these a look
Old 04-21-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Position #1 - 11 ... Qxe7

What was the point of the last 3 moves for white? Why did he go to such lengths to trade off the dark squared bishops? What squares are particularly weak in black's camp? What sort of future strategy does this suggest for white?

[/ QUOTE ]

white seems to want to park a knight on the weak C5 square, and trading off the dark squared bishops seems to be an attempt to remove defenders of C5. Anything I'm missing?

[ QUOTE ]

Position #2 - 13 ... c5

Why is 13 ... c5 important in this sort of position? What previous moves did Geller make that gave us hints that he would later play c5?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Steinitz rule of knights is that they need advanced "support points" to be maximally effective, and ...c5 takes away white's d pawn which weaken's white's control of C5

[ QUOTE ]

Position #3 - 21. Rc1

White currently owns the c-file. Can black take it from him with Rc8? What is "always" the goal of controlling a file with your major pieces?

[/ QUOTE ]

...Rc8 seems to fail in controlling the c-file, white could play Qxc8 but black would respond Bxc8 Rxc8 Ne8 and would be up a Queen for a bishop and rook. However, for this sacrifice of a Pawn's worth of material white would have the c-file and a very well placed bishop.

[ QUOTE ]

Position #4 - 23. a3

What advantages belong to white in this position? How about to black? Given white's control of the dark squares, would 22 ... Bxf3 be a good or bad move, and why? Where would the white knight most like to go if you simply pick him up and place him on any given square? Why is white's next move important?

[/ QUOTE ]

teach me.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 AM

dont apolgize for posting these

plz post these things
Old 04-21-2007, 03:18 AM

P.S. if I were to pick up white's knight and post him, it would still be on c5
Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 PM

I'm not upset, anyone can hijack it if they want. It seemed The way I was doing things wasn't drawing alot of conversation
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM

This just seems to me to be an way to exchange white's somewhat awkward blacksq bishop for black's for control of the darksquares, notably c5 (after he pushes his pawn to b4).

c5 is thematic simply because black wants to avoid leaving a target for white to pounce on and it helps to alleviate whites control of e5. Black reinforced this by taking with teh Q on e7 and playing Nd7

Point of controlling a file is to facilitate an avenue to invade with your rooks. no point to hold a file if you can't invade. Havent done a full analysis, but i dont think black can play 21...Rc8 because of 22 Qxc8 Bxc8 23 Rxc8+ Ne8 24 Ne5 with the idea of playing Bc6 and White will be up on material

White has control of the C-file, which can be used to invade at some point. White also has control of the dark squares, including e5. Black has some control of the white squares, and with tempo can probably plant a knight on c4 and harass white's a-pawn. The move bxf3 would be bad for black, since white has his QSPs locked down on white squares. If white were to trade down, should be a fairly easy endgame for white using his bishop to play both wings and pick off blacks pawns on QS. His bishop would be superior to blacks knight. White's knight would like c5 now.

A) 26 Bxd5!
B) 26 e4! Ra8 27 Qc5 Qxc5 28 Rxc5 Ne7 Rc7 +/-
C) 26 e4 Bc6 27 Qc5 etc black loses a piece

I would guess its equal now, but can't find / dont have time to find draw by force

Im so bad at endgames its not even funny

EDITED FOR CORRECTION
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM

bump for someone (ie Curtains) to please set us straight as to what is going on here
Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Isnt this the very first game in that book?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump for someone (ie Curtains) to please set us straight as to what is going on here

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhh I can't really help much here, sorry to say. However it is a great book! Too bad that like 90% of them go 1.d4