Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Can Someone Explain Hunting to Me?

I understand hunters who hunt to eat. But I don't understand hunting for sport. I grew up in New York City and have been a city guy all my life, so I have not been exposed to hunting. But why kill a living animal for sport?

Mods: feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if you think it proper.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Can Someone Explain Hunting to Me?

[ QUOTE ]
I understand hunters who hunt to eat. But I don't understand hunting for sport. I grew up in New York City and have been a city guy all my life, so I have not been exposed to hunting. But why kill a living animal for sport?

Mods: feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if you think it proper.

[/ QUOTE ]

It simply can't be explained to you.

I grew up in Westchester and I get it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 PM

A good answer would be because you can. Some people find it enjoyable and its not really a terrible thing so ill allow it.

I dont understand masturbating while standing on my head, but if someone does then more power to them.

FWIW ive never killed anything so i dont really get it either.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin and hunted as a young man, as all WI youths do. My whole family still hunts, and I never then, nor now, see the sport in killing animals with a gun. At least with archery there's some technique involved. But gun hunting is a joke.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll toss out a few bones and see who pounces:

The challenge.

It gets one out of the house.

It is a blood ritual. (done on 'innocent' animals instead of fellow humans in this case)

Bonding ritual for those that hunt in packs.

An excuse to exhibit power over something (Freud must have had something to say about all this)

For practice - so you can be sure to hit your spouse on the first shot. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in Wisconsin and hunted as a young man, as all WI youths do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holla

[ QUOTE ]
At least with archery there's some technique involved. But gun hunting is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends how you do it, I guess. We have to use scents and calls to attract em and then you still have to account for some things (wind, shrubs that could deflect the shot, etc). Some of our rifles don't have scopes.

Last time we got deer while hunting (3 years ago I believe), my grandpa took two deer in one spot, one of them on the run after the first one went down. Pretty impressive for a guy who's in his 70's using a .30-06 bolt action with no scope.

Re: Andy's OP, I don't know any hunters who don't either eat what they shoot themselves or donate it to charities. I would probably look down on a hunter that just killed animals for sport and then did nothing with the carcass, as would, I think, most hunters.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM

bloodlust and power lol

I like to hunt the does with piano wire tied to two handgrips...sneak up behind them and strangle them.

I do it on the farm where they are trained to come and eat the grass and not be afraid of people b/c I can't run as fast as them.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 PM

I'm a pretty typical non-hunting city liberal, but anyone who eats meat and has a problem with hunting is a complete dilltard in my view. For that matter, anyone who's not a vegan and has a problem with it. Actually vegans, too.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a pretty typical non-hunting city liberal, but anyone who eats meat and has a problem with hunting is a complete dilltard in my view. For that matter, anyone who's not a vegan and has a problem with it. Actually vegans, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not exempt as a vegan?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Re: Andy's OP, I don't know any hunters who don't either eat what they shoot themselves or donate it to charities. I would probably look down on a hunter that just killed animals for sport and then did nothing with the carcass, as would, I think, most hunters.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a legitimate and good point that most hunters do not hunt just for the Kill or the Sport. In fact, this is rather rare in my opinion (except perhaps in some instances of 'Big Game Hunting') but I have no statistics to back up this assertion.

-Zeno