Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM

Default just emailed prof

good/bad/stupid/smart? what i said was the truth, i honestly believe that i cant pass this test, let alone the entire semester. (class = abstract algebra).

Hello Professor,
As you probably already know, I am not doing too well in your class. I am very far behind in the classwork and I honestly feel like catching up on the material even enough to pass tomorrow's exam is an insurmountable task. I put this class on the back burner a while ago, and by the time I went back to it I realized I was completely lost. I'm trying to take a realistic approach to this whole thing, and since I can't pass tomorrow's exam, which would mean I won't pass your class (given my last exam score and my current homework/quiz grade), I think I'm going to stop attending class in order to focus on my other classes. I will be retaking 22m:50 either in the summer or fall. So I guess I'm telling you why I most likely will not be in class tomorrow for the exam, and the classes following that. I sincerely apologize for wasting your time this semester.

FilthyLarry
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: just emailed prof

meh, it's not gonna hurt you, but you also won't gain anything from it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM

wow
Old 04-17-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess he gains because he alleviates his conscience. having said that, what does he have to lose from at least attempting the final? maybe thinks will work out.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He should now show up for the final, say, "I thought that I'd at least give this exam a shot," and maybe the guy will cut him a break for being so honest with him.

Can't hurt.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:25 PM

ya don't waste time studying if your probably gonna fail... completely wing it, try and cheat... assuming you do fail then ya i guess tell him that, and hey u never know, maybe some really smart person will be sitting right next to you and giving you all the answers

also giving him this letter after you atleast gave it a shot would give you the outside chance of passing on your own/ or threw non-risky cheating
Secondly it gives him a chance of cutting you a break and passing you

give it a shot, its worth the chance
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM

If you know you were absolutely going to fail, I like your line. He may grow some benevolence and give you an incomplete or something crazy like that.

This is really like a hail mary from your own 15.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Or maybe next fall he will take the class and have the same prof? This might get him an in for either help or something next quarter/semester.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM

here's his response:
Hi Nick,

Thank you for telling me of your plans concerning my course. I
appreciate that. Not too many students give their professors that
courtesy. So, now I won't worry about you when I don't see you in
class. Good luck in your other classes.

Best Regards,
Professor X

and the thing is, I have this exam tomorrow morning. and it is not the final, it's the second midterm. the final for this class is in 3 weeks. and these arent the type of tests you can just wing and hope for the best. it's all math proofs.

and also, I have another midterm tomorrow afternoon that I desperately need to study for.

i feel really sick about this whole thing, like the "feeling in the pit of your stomach" type of sick. it's a lot of wasted time and wasted money. and this professor is really nice and really smart and I totally respect him, and what I'm doing (quitting) is really disrespectful.

welp, no reason to whine and worry about it now. just gotta plan better in the future i guess.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM

hey at least your being realistic and trying to do your best from here on in.

fwiw, i think maths must be one of the toughest subjects around. you've really got to be dedicated to working very hard at it. i know you probs know that.

example from my university; i have a friend who does maths, for one of their modules they were told that the highest mark last year was like 60%, and the average was about 30%. it was supposed to be really hard proof maths. it was a 2 hour exam. you can't leave after the first 30 mins. he said the girl next to him, who he knew was a hard worker, stood up after the 30 mins and walked out in tears.

so your not alone, a lot of people find maths [censored] hard.

and remember, the time and money is now a sunk cost, move on and decide what is your best course of action. i know its hard to do, but you've already sorted that your not doing tomorrows exam you would never of passed so your clearly doing rational things by prioritising your time well to an exam you can do well in.

good luck.