Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Is it ever worth it to LAG it up early

I don't play in high buy-in SnG's, $20 is the highest I go, but I'm wondering whether going very conservative early and very aggressive late is the only way to play SnG's.

When I play non-turbo SnG's, I often play speculative garbage in late position, looking to either hit a lucky flop or push someone out of the pot with air. Sometimes I get short-stacked or even bust very early, but more times than not I get enough cushion to lose a coin flip later on without getting crippled, or maybe even amass a stack big enough to bully others.

Is there a merit to this strategy (when played correctly, obviously)? Or is it a money loser in the long term? Assume that the player doesn't multi-table, if that makes a difference.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Is it ever worth it to LAG it up early

if you are not multitabling, you are losing money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
seriously, i guess especially at 10/20 blinds, you can get many chips by limping many hands from late pos, if you're fine postflop. especially with only one table running.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are not multitabling, you are losing money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
seriously, i guess especially at 10/20 blinds, you can get many chips by limping many hands from late pos, if you're fine postflop. especially with only one table running.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it necessary to always limp? I only limp if someone limps before me (though sometimes I still raise with garbage). If I'm first in, I always raise.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

profitability

good TAG >>>> good LAG > bad TAG > calling station >>>> bad LAG
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

I play the $5.50s. I will limp with suited Aces, connectors and small pairs if at least one person has limped and I'm in at least late middle position. I don't think this is laggy. My general philosophy is raise my big hands QQ+, AK, limp/fold with good trouble hands JJ-88, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ loosening up as I get in better position.

If you're raising alot with garbage, it better hit cause guys that flop tp nk or worse aren't gonna fold.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM

The fundamental question is when do you want to put your stack at risk, when the blinds are low or high? The blinds go up quickly enough in the SNG structure that spewing chips early will lessen your fold equity that you need later in the game. So, you trade off making a little extra now in return for taking down bigger pots later. I think in general the concept you want to apply is flawed unless you have very strong post flop skills.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're raising alot with garbage, it better hit cause guys that flop tp nk or worse aren't gonna fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm in the late position and I raise the limper, and the limper calls, he most likely has a middle pocket pair. This is a very easy hand to make a bad fold with when they don't hit their set.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fundamental question is when do you want to put your stack at risk, when the blinds are low or high? The blinds go up quickly enough in the SNG structure that spewing chips early will lessen your fold equity that you need later in the game. So, you trade off making a little extra now in return for taking down bigger pots later. I think in general the concept you want to apply is flawed unless you have very strong post flop skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it depend on how much people call in the push-or-fold stage? If no one calls your steal push without a big pocket pair late in the game, then obviously there is little value in accumulating the chips early, you can just mint them later at your leisure. However, it seems like lately people are very good about calling shortstack pushes even when they're only slightly ahead.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play the $5.50s. I will limp with suited Aces, connectors and small pairs if at least one person has limped and I'm in at least late middle position. I don't think this is laggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. It's not laggy. It's fishy.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM

I fold unless I have AA, and then I limp.