Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Foods to eat before and after lifting

Ok, so I'm incorporating cardio and lifting starting tomorrow.

I plan on working out in mornings before my day gets started.

What kind of meals should I eat before and after workouts to help turn my fat into LBM? Note that I'm not trying to get bigger, just trying to lose fat and turn that fat into muscle, while maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight at the same time.

I have organic oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, meat, the normal stuff. Just not sure what foods I should eat at what times for optimal energy and muscle building.

Thanks,

nation
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Diet while lifting

Clarify;

You're trying to turn pre-existing fat tissue into muscle tissue, hence not getting any bigger, just more muscular?

i.e., you weigh 200 @ 20% body fat and are trying to weigh 200 @ 15% body fat?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:26 AM

correct
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM

i workout in the afternoon, so my post workout meals aren't breakfast like foods, but you get the idea

preworkout, all you really need is a protein shake and maybe a piece of fruit, totalling ~40g protein/carbs

postworkout i have another shake immediately following along with a high-carb food (carbs are essential at this time, you can't ignore them). if you don't like bagels or jelly sandwiches (avoid peanut butter and other fatty foods, it slows the digestion of protein), just drink a gatorade w/ your shake.

~1 -1.5 hours after workout i eat dinner, usually a piece of chicken or salmon with a baked sweet potato and another vegetable (salad, broccoli, green beans, kidney beans)

basically, you want to avoid fats, get decent protein before and after, and get a good amount of carbs after
Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 AM

I would do lifting, then cardio and not vise-versa.

Pre-workout: 20-25% of your bodyweight in grams of whey protein + 1/2c of oats or banana

Post-workout: 1 scoop of whey + any whole food meal with protein & medium GI carbs (i.e. eggs/oats)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're trying to turn pre-existing fat tissue into muscle tissue....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god. Please tell me the gremlins got to your computer.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're trying to turn pre-existing fat tissue into muscle tissue....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god. Please tell me the gremlins got to your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously you maybe coming around, this was funny.
nice job thremp.

explanation.....you can't turn lead into gold, same concept.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Foods to eat before and after lifting

Training in the morning before eating is a good way to burn body fat. Your work outs won't be as intense and you won't be able to push at your maximum.

After your work out consume a post work out protein shake.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:57 PM

"Training in the morning before eating is a good way to burn body fat."

I'm sorry, but this is just wrong... extremely catabolic which is not the goal. Total calories/exercise are key. I'd recommend both a pre and post-workout meal as well as BCAA's pre and post.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 PM

I hate to rain on your parade nation, but, I've got to be honest with you.

Let me give you an example;

If gaining new muscle tissue requires that your body have a positive caloric balance, and losing fat tissue requires your body have a negative caloric balance, how would it be possible to lose fat tissue but still gain muscle tissue?

The simple answer is that it's not possible. The real answer is that it's almost impossible.

Reason being: you have to have excess calories for your body to use to recover and rebuild, thus creating new muscle tissue. However, your body will use your caloric intake for energy before it uses it's own fat deposits.

Many people who take steroids don't maximize their gains because they dont understand this concept. If you want to gain new muscle tissue, you have to accept the fact that you're going to have to put your body in a caloric state that allows for new growth, which, will also mean the addition of fat. This also explains why you see professional bodybuilders (like lee priest for example) go from 280 LBS in the off season to 215 LBS during competition. They gain that extra weight because they want to add as much muscle as possible, and worry about burning the fat later. Lee is an extreme example, but even some of the more mundane off season body builders will drop 40 LBS routinely from off season to in-season.

I understand your desire to add muscle tissue. Most of us would love to trade fifteen pounds of fat for fifteen pounds of muscle. It's just not realistic in the short term, especially if you'e hung up on doing them both at the same time.

I reccomend you focus on losing weight. This will make you happier in the short term. A lot of guys I know will get down to a certain level of body fat % that they're comfortable with, and try and gain about 10-15 LBS over a three month period. Then they'll try and get back down to where they were intially body fat-wise. This sort of build/cut build/cut routine keeps them growing (albeit slowly) while also keeping them in a similar body image that they desire.

Most newbies can gain strength while losing fat, and some can gain muscle tissue while losing fat. The way you lose fat while gaining muscle tissue is very difficult. You've got to time your meals, know what you're eating, understand how your body metabolizes certain foods, and cycle your carbohydrate intake. You've got to have days where you're eating the bare minimum and then days when you're eating more than your caloric needs, but very very clean.

I suggest you pick one or the other, and proceed.