Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Logic Behind Security Deposits for Apartments

Ok I understand if you wreck the place etc any damges done would be taken from that money. But what I don't get is this.

My apartment replaces all carpet and repaints when someone moves out. So why would they charge me for damages to the rug when they was replacing it anyways.

Now I know it's just because they want to make money from every possible angle. But is their any logic behind this besides them trying to scam people out of money?

If the carpet is being replaced anyways why should the renter have to pay for the carpet that has stains thats getting torned out anyways?

I'm not in this situation I'm just thinking fo the future
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Logic Behind Security Deposits for Apartments

They replace the carpet every time? That seems odd.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I understand if you wreck the place etc any damges done would be taken from that money. But what I don't get is this.

My apartment replaces all carpet and repaints when someone moves out. So why would they charge me for damages to the rug when they was replacing it anyways.

Now I know it's just because they want to make money from every possible angle. But is their any logic behind this besides them trying to scam people out of money?

If the carpet is being replaced anyways why should the renter have to pay for the carpet that has stains thats getting torned out anyways?

I'm not in this situation I'm just thinking fo the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an ultra high-end building? I've never heard of an owner replacing carpets every time, I certainly wouldn't do it in any of my places.

They're charging you because it's in the contact you signed, and because they can. In real estate you try to make as much money as possible, same as any other business. Perhaps the carpet is being used in another application.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 AM

They charge you because it lowers their costs.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 AM

In many states (such as CA) this may not hold up in court. Owners may only deduct the depreciated cost of the carpet.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 AM

I have never heard of them pulling the carpet up unless its [censored]. I thought they used part of the deposit to clean the carpets, change the locks, and fix any minor damage?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They charge you because it lowers their costs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]stabn
Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 AM

I've always understood that deposits were used to cover damages beyond normal wear and tear, cleaning costs, and unpaid rent and late fees.

If a tenant damaged a new carpet such that it had to be replaced, or if the owner chose to replace carpets after every turnover, in my area the owner can only charge a pro-rated amount of the cost of the original carpet.

Generally, a carpet is considered to have a useful life of 5-7 years in rental properties depending on the type of carpet. So if a tenant lived in a unit for 2 years, and destroyed a carpet with a useful life of 5 years, the owner could only deduct 3/5 the cost of the carpet.

In my experience, landlords do this kind of thing because tenants do not always know their rights.