Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Default not so sexy

live 20/40. villain seems decent. He plays too many hands preflop, and calls sometimes when he should be folding and sometimes when he should be raising. Seems like he's played a lot and seems to know where he's at post flop and bets and raises accordingly. I'm running hotter than the sun, raising lots and winning lots. showing down big hands.

I raise utg with AKo, villain calls on the button, big blind calls.

flop A66 two tone
bet, call

turn 7 no flush
bet, call

river 3 no flush.
I check he bets I raise he 3bets.

Can I ever be good here?

this is a good spot for a sexy, no? I rarely ever do this live. It never seems to turn out like I expect.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: not so sexy

[ QUOTE ]
this is a good spot for a sexy, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think so. I think with this board villain won't call your check-raise very often unless he has you beat. Even a loose player is going to have a hard time calling your check-raise with a weak A or a smaller PP, especially since the pot's not huge. I think on the river the choice is between c/c, b/f, or b/c (probably in that order, but I dunno).

As played, I think you have to fold to the 3-bet, especially given your read and image. This guy is going to have a boat like 95% of the time, and the other 5% he'll have trips or a A7.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 AM

bet river and call a raise. Seems like an easy play, why get fancy here?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Cmon, how many people fold an ace on that river when they get checkraised? He may even have something like AJ or something. Obviously when he 3 bets the river we know he doesn't have AJ.

I actually like the river play. It's good for your image (earns you free showdowns when you're out of position) and you extract extra value out of a worse ace.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 AM

Seriously. The reason you shouldn't checkraise this river is not because he won't call a checkraise (or because a 3-bet puts you in a tough spot -- though those are both decent reasons); the reason is that he'll check behind a lot of hands that he'll call with. You're missing value from just straight betting. Look, if he called the turn, why would he fold the river? He has a pair or a smaller ace that he isn't folding. Just bet and let him call one more time. If he raises, you call and see. I hate this sexy.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 AM

I was trying to get this post from my friend::

when are u gonna get checkraising the turn out of ur game plan, i used to do it in 2002 when i thought "id like to raise on the bigger streets". Its really never in my arsenal and it doesnt work vs good players.

I think this applies and yes bk1248 is one of the best
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 AM

he says i have a serious case of FPS which I only smally agree with but this could be beneficially for others.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 AM

Read the player description. The flop is A66 and he calls the flop and turn. What is his most likely hand? He's really going to check behind on the river with an Ace? He's going to call the turn and river with like 88 or something? This is not that fancy a play. It's simply an attempt to try to extract one more bet out of the villain's most likely holding, a worse ace.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:55 AM

I check raise the turn almost every time. The river is fine too, but maybe he can actually check behind a small ace. That said, worrying about being 3-bet on this river card is pretty ridiculous. It happens nowhere near often enough to make it a factor. It's all about how the guy plays Ax and if he'll value bet the river when checked to. Online, everyone will. A "decent" live player may be smart (or bad?) enough to check behind AT or something here.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 AM

You're fuct when he 3-bets, but I like the c/r.